The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

benefit of lightweight wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napkinthief

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 16, 2005
Cliffside park, New_Jersey
so why are they so good? is it because they just a lot of weight from the car, or because they are rotating mass or what? and wouldn't a heavier wheel give better handling because it holds the tire down more?

Lol, the wheel is not the main thing putting weight on the tire, its your car, 3100 pounds, 10 pounds isnt going to make a difference in contact patch.

People go with lighter wheels because of less rotating mass and less weight. However, usually when people get lighter wheels they also get larger wheels which has more rotating mass on the outside, almost offsetting the weight savings of the wheel (depending on the wheel)

Less weight means faster straight line, faster curves, and more gas mileage in your pocket.

Most people think I took out my spare tire because im obsessed with speed, I mostly did it for the weight savings to increase my gas mileage, which is why I dont leave tools in my car.

Also because they are "unsprung" weight, the suspension has to control all that mass flailing around.

Lightweight wheels provide two benefits:
  • They reduce the amount of unsprung weight, theoretically improving handling.
  • They reduce the amount of rotating mass, theoretically improving accelleration.
A lot of people confuse the two issues, but it's actually two separate things; consider the difference in moving to a lightweight flywheel, for example (which can dramatically reduce directly-driven rotating mass, but does not reduce unsprung weight).

Either way, saving weight is almost always a win from a performance standpoint. However, saving weight in suspension (unsprung) components is a bigger win.

Edit: Damn, wret beat me to it. ;-)

For all who pay $$$$ for wheels that are 4lbs less... I have some things I would like to sell to you.

1. Unsprung weight: tires, wheels, bearings, knuckle, brakes, control arms (1/2) etc.

2. Rotating inertia: Outer most material and its radius is most important (use 14" wheels/tires)

Before anyone throws (writes) "cocktail party physics" about light weight wheels, they should do some calculations (or read a previous post of mine). The unsprung savings is a small percentage.

Light weight wheels are great. Forged wheels are great. If you are not financially constrained...buy them. If you have financial constraints, do some calculations to see if you are getting your $$$'s worth.

well i am planning on getting some new wheels, but I dont know if I want to get lightweight or not, I do not expect a huge difference, but I want something a little wider than the stock wheel and at least 16".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back