The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lightweight Rims

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireredGST

Banned Member
Oct 10, 2003
Any of you guys have recomdations on the lightest possible pair of rims I can buy?

If your concerned about price and weight check out axis, their mag light four spokes (15s0 weigh in below 15 lbs. and i pretty sure the VPD's do also. And if you dont like those check out 5zigen's FN1R and FN1C both very nice look like the same wheel but fn1c is cast as compared to forged. The Axis is preassur cat (not as strong forged but stronger than cast and less expensive) The mag lights you can find for $94 a piece in athracite or silver i would chose these personally best all around unless you got the mony for VOlK or Zigen

zachax said:
If your concerned about price and weight check out axis, their mag light four spokes (15s0 weigh in below 15 lbs. and i pretty sure the VPD's do also. And if you dont like those check out 5zigen's FN1R and FN1C both very nice look like the same wheel but fn1c is cast as compared to forged. The Axis is preassur cat (not as strong forged but stronger than cast and less expensive) The mag lights you can find for $94 a piece in athracite or silver i would chose these personally best all around unless you got the mony for VOlK or Zigen

every one keeps talking about axis Mag lites... they are 4 lug only last time I checked (a month ago)
you can use a website like wheel weights

it is a little old 2002 but most wheels you are going to be buying on a budget will be on there

finally some one who knows what to look for in rims. less weight i praise you for this, bling bling weighs to much and the inertia of the wheel is to high. good way to make your car faster and now for the grand finally match it up with light tires to have fun finding the weight specs on tires but they do exist.

Kosei K1 Racing and K1 TS. Light and reasonably priced from TireRack.

There's also the new Velox Zeta series. Spin cast (semi forge). Lighter and stronger than standard casting. Supposedly designed with big brake kits in mind. No idea on price... couldn't find any.

SSR Competitions (also available from Tire Rack) are about as light as you can get - but it doesnt look like the 15s are available for our cars - they usually weigh in around 9lbs. The 16s are nice, and only 12.8lbs.

The K1-TS as Paul mentioned are also very light, and not too expensive either.

Finding light wheels on a budget can be difficult. I ended up going with Rotas, as they stay on the pretty light end of the spectrum and are also inexpensive. The 15x6.5 Slipstream weighs in at around 12lbs, gaining a pound to go to 15x7 and another 8 ounces for the 16x7s - but are damn cheap at $500/set for the 16s from www.machiii.net

Other Rotas like the Grid, Flight, & Subzero are all on the light end of the budget/weight spectrum. Enkei RPF1s and RP02s are also quite light - as well as the 5Zigen FN01R-C, although they tend to be a little more expensive.

Of course, at the high budget end you have Volk TE37s and the like - lightweight rims are easy to find if you've got lots of cash to blow.

Centerline has a few forged wheels meant for imports. They're pretty light and reasonably priced for forged wheels. Something like 13.5 lbs for 17".

Gram Lights 57c can be had with tires (Kumho 712) for $1500. Not sure if the deal is still good, check importhookup.com It's not a bad deal, I just don't care too much for the look.

Hokie is right... finding light rims on a budget is hard. Especially if you have a particular style in mind and would like the wheels to be compatible with big brakes to plan ahead... It's nearly impossible.

Thanks for all the information guys, the SSR competitions are looking about right for me right now.

I agree with the general sentiment that lighter rims are better than heavy "bling bling" rims. When looking for light rims that will be used on a daily driver I am concerned about also getting a strong rim. The SSR Comps are really nice, but I believe a good pothole (plentiful where I live) will probably take one out.

Could someone who has owned the SSR Comps can comment?

Chances are a standard cast rim will bend before a SSR comp will. Spun forged, you'd have to hit that pot hole pretty damn hard to bend it.

You can't bend a cast rim, not really.

Forged rims can be bent, cast rims usually break.

SSR Comps from what I have heard on the Scion boards are giving folks problems.

One of the Guys out in DSM SW also bent one pretty good, and sold the set b/c he never had problems on his previous rims, and It was too expensive to repair.

I wouldn't spend that dang much money on a rim, so I don't have any.

But I would rather have a meatier beefier and heavier rim, than a rim whose design is completely optimized for lightweight and racing if i was going to drive on the street. Once you exceed what ever the design rating was then you are screwed either way, and I would venture a guess that the limit on the SSR Comps is lower because the weight is so much lower.
That is just my opinion.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back