The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Bad starter?? Do not really know

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenuwine4g63

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2009
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok guys i've been at this car for about 4-5 months. My starter does this-When i put my battery in(bad cell, but had it charged just to start the car, And no, with a good battery it didnt change anything) and started to start the car. It started turning over real slow then it'll start turning over faster but wont Start. The car just cranks over and over. when i try again the starter would just click. Now with that being said, when i test the voltage on my battery when the car turns over its reading 11.5v. When i test it when the starter just clicks it test out at 12.2v. I finally got it to back fire today and then it just cranked over and over. But i dont think that its turning over fast enough. I can hear it putting out the exhaust and thats it. Need help!! Thanks guys

The one time i had just a clicking sound was when some parts in my starter were rusted. If you want you could take apart the starter to see if anything is rusted. The one time it reads 12.2V the starter isnt using the power. Have you tried pushstart?

The one time i had just a clicking sound was when some parts in my starter were rusted. If you want you could take apart the starter to see if anything is rusted. The one time it reads 12.2V the starter isnt using the power. Have you tried pushstart?

Nope havnt tried push start. But i will tomorrow before i go to work hopefully. Dont really have any where to push it. But i will be taking the starter out and taking it to get tested

if the car is turning over, thats means the starter is turning. If its catching or not is a different story, but u should be able to tell more once you pull out the starter and check out the teeth. my starter will actually get stuck, "click", every once in a blue moon but if i just keep playing with the key it turns on.
does your car even start/motor full on? or it just cranks?:pray:

if the car is turning over, thats means the starter is turning. If its catching or not is a different story, but u should be able to tell more once you pull out the starter and check out the teeth. my starter will actually get stuck, "click", every once in a blue moon but if i just keep playing with the key it turns on.
does your car even start/motor full on? or it just cranks?:pray:

It just cranks. When i first start the car it will back fire then just crank...but never turn over. I pulled the starter today and the teeth are not bad, no broken ones or nothing. Just a few grooves from wear and tear over the years.

From what you explained a bad cell in the battery can make it turn slowly and not let it crank.

Even a good battery caused my car not to start too. It just turns over and over. Now i have spark, but everytime i pull the spark plugs they're wet or soaked and are black. Seems like they keep getting flooded. This head has caught fire before i had it redone. And the spark plug holes are a orange color, i was wondering if it was causing my spark plugs not to ground when screwed in the engine. If i pull them out they spark!!

Make sure ya MAF is plugged in tight cause they like to wiggle loose, now clean the old plugs good unhook the injectors and try and crank it to see if u can burn the fuel thats sitting in the engine.

if they're black and flooding, probably fouled plugs and you need new ones. now you just gotta figure out why they keep on flooding. maybe bad maf?
ps. even a fouled plug will spark

Yea i know, thats why i ruling the spark plugs out because they were still sparking. But they are black and wet i mean soaked. The problem with my maf is that i have two, one untouch(ALL The honeycombs and the screw hasnt been backed out) the one I have on the car now has no honeycombs and the screw is backed all the way out. It did the same thing with both mafs.

Make sure ya MAF is plugged in tight cause they like to wiggle loose, now clean the old plugs good unhook the injectors and try and crank it to see if u can burn the fuel thats sitting in the engine.

Hmmm Will try. I took the starter off, so im cleaning that while its out.

Does it seem to lope or cause the starter to load up unevenly as it spins? Or does each revolution sound exactly the same?

This may be a little far-fetched, but make sure your coils are in the right order. I know when I switched to a COP setup it was doing this. (The whole turning over and backfiring thing.) I switched the plugs...and it fired right up.

Worth a shot I say.

This may be a little far-fetched, but make sure your coils are in the right order. I know when I switched to a COP setup it was doing this. (The whole turning over and backfiring thing.) I switched the plugs...and it fired right up.

Worth a shot I say.

Well im for sure the lady at advance gave me the plugs for a 420a. A 5/8 socket fits it, so i know its a 420a plug it isnt even the same height as my ngks, my plug wires dont even make contact with them. But it did stumble..then just spun. Pulled the plugs out and they looked like i just took them out the box not one kind of sign of fire. I have a 1g cas and the spark order i have written down on a peice of paper in my engine bay so i dont forget

Worth a shot I say.

Well im for sure the lady at advance gave me the plugs for a 420a. A 5/8 socket fits it, so i know its a 420a plug it isnt even the same height as my ngks, my plug wires dont even make contact with them. But it did stumble..then just spun. Pulled the plugs out and they looked like i just took them out the box not one kind of sign of fire. I have a 1g cas and the spark order i have written down on a peice of paper in my engine bay so i dont forget

Your problem is your sparking order, did you change the wires in the ecu, and therefore change the order of the coil. Is the car by you right now ill tell you where to put your wires. I'm all in on wire order.
Put all wires in the correct order, then change plug 1 to cylinder four and vise versa.
Then change plug 2 to cylinder 3, your car will lope for about two times then start right up.

Your problem is your sparking order, did you change the wires in the ecu, and therefore change the order of the coil. Is the car by you right now ill tell you where to put your wires. I'm all in on wire order.
Put all wires in the correct order, then change plug 1 to cylinder four and vise versa.
Then change plug 2 to cylinder 3, your car will lope for about two times then start right up.

Yes i did change the wires at the ecu. I will try this after i get some more plugs

I agree. My "loping" question was directed toward the firing order. I'd be willing to bet its wrong. Take your #1 and #4 wires off the coil pack they are currently on and put #2 and #3 in their place. Then of course put 1,4 on the other coil. This one got me during my install.

OK how about this. My coil gave a reading of 13.8, on both sides. My spark plug wires though are confusing me. The resistance reads out, 10.1, 4.5, 4.5, 1.7...Thats pretty huge in a number difference. I dont even know if i had the ohm tester on the right calibration. How does that work

Try switching your wires back to normal then try to start it. Let me look at my order, i think its a little off from normal. Ill brb. And from what your supposed to have them swapped it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back