1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Bad head gasket?

Posted by 1000hpgsx, Oct 3, 2020

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    I’m sure I’ve got a bad head gasket. Just wondering if anyone can shed any additional info on this. Blows white smoke. One black spark plug and one cylinder has 100psi while the other 3 have 181psi. I just pulled all the plugs at the same time but it’s obviously a good bet it was that cylinder. it also has a valve tick. Maybe unrelated?
    All new block build with under 100 miles but has sat for 10 years.

2K  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like you right with your diagnosis, sitting shouldn't have hurt anything, the head bolts might not have been torqued or re-torqued right.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Sjd6795

Sjd6795 Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2014
    Wilsonville, Oregon
    Possibly head gasket is always the first assumption with those symptoms. I had a cracked radiator and car overheated and I had 30 compression on cyl 3 I figured my head gasket was blown even though I had no smoke or anything after adding water to limp it home. I turned out one of my valves had literally melted/had a chunk missing out of it, all fixed now though and driving better then ever.

Street Build 665  13

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    322 whp · 331 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Sjd6795

Street Build 1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. Jays99Spyder

Jays99Spyder Proven Member

Joined Feb 22, 2020
    Waukegan, Illinois
    White smoke for my was the head gasket. I cheaped out the first time and reused head studs. I would take it apart immediately to prevent any further damage if its not already to late, that coolant water will eat at the walls. If everything is good new head gasket and some rap head studs if you don't already have them. The ticking could be lifters, if not already installed I recommend revised lifters. Hope this helps and good luck, I'm working on bringing my sitting engine back to life too.

Street Build 321  4

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder 4G63 Swap
    fwd · manual · 4G63t Swapped
  5. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    Thanks guys, I started on this yesterday but I’m just going to bring it back to the engine builder. The timing looks very strange to me but it runs good. When I bring the far right piston (#1) to TDC, the crank pulley is spot on but the cams are not even close. Spun it around again to see if it needed to be on a different stroke and it’s still way off. Been idling and driven about 50 or so miles like that so I don’t know. I paid them plenty, they can have a look at it LOL
    Thanks everyone, I’ll keep y’all posted. Sitting at the track now with no car to run

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Crank pulley has no orientation and can be installed any of 4 ways. Cams cannot. Trust the markings on the cams. Mark on crank pulley is for setting base timing

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    Are you saying put #1 at TDC, align cam marks facing each other and ignore the crank pulley?

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Yes. But once #1 is at TDC, I would pull the crank pulley off and reinstall with the timing mark in the correct position on the Timing cover

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    Oh I see what you’re saying. Because it has 4 bolts so it can be put on 1 of 4 ways. However, even if I ignore my crank pulley timing mark it still seems wrong. My cams are not lined up when #1 is at TDC. My local shop did change out my cam sensor for a 1G and switched the firing order. Worked fine after but does that imply the cams had to be moved too?

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Put #1 at TDC and snap a pic of the timing marks on the cams. Let’s see what we are working with

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    Thanks for your help btw. 6 pics attached. TDC, pointing to intake Mark, pointing to exhaust mark, other TDC stroke, pointing to each Mark...

Attached Files:

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    At tdc, the down pins on your cams should be pointing straight up. It looks like your marks will line up once the dowel pins are in the correct placement. Hard to tell if you are actually at tdc with just a screwdriver as reference. We need to see timing marks on the Front case, crank sprocket, oil pump sprocket Take a pic of the crank sprocket timing mark in relation to the timing marks on the lower timing cover as well

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  13. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    So when the dowel pins are straight up the cam marks are perfect. Also, at TDC the crank pulley is lined up with the timing belt cover mark. I think it is “0”. But it doesn’t all happen at the same time. If I line up the crank and TDC the cams are off and obviously the opposite is true. To reiterate the engine was just running fine and we haven’t moved anything.

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    I’m going to try to bring it to the builder tomorrow anyway. But I will certainly post the reason this timing is so weird.

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. OLDDOOD

OLDDOOD Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2019
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Sounds like they just installed the crank pulley 90* off or something. Anything more than a tooth off and the car would run like complete ass, if at all

176  1

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  16. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Doesn't sound like a harmonic balancer issue to me. If that screwdriver is at tdc then I'm guessing the belt has slipped. Take off the covers and line up the actual crank sprocket mark. If cams aren't on your belt has slipped.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. 1000hpgsx

1000hpgsx Proven Member

Joined Sep 17, 2010
    Rockland, Maine
    I don’t think it’s slipped because it was just running and driving. See above for issues we had but that’s just smoke and blown head gasket. I’ll follow up with reasons and results.

2K  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  18. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Regardless you should check some marks. Marks lining up is not subjective.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM