The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad head gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1000hpgsx

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2010
Rockland, Maine
I’m sure I’ve got a bad head gasket. Just wondering if anyone can shed any additional info on this. Blows white smoke. One black spark plug and one cylinder has 100psi while the other 3 have 181psi. I just pulled all the plugs at the same time but it’s obviously a good bet it was that cylinder. it also has a valve tick. Maybe unrelated?
All new block build with under 100 miles but has sat for 10 years.

Sounds like you right with your diagnosis, sitting shouldn't have hurt anything, the head bolts might not have been torqued or re-torqued right.

Possibly head gasket is always the first assumption with those symptoms. I had a cracked radiator and car overheated and I had 30 compression on cyl 3 I figured my head gasket was blown even though I had no smoke or anything after adding water to limp it home. I turned out one of my valves had literally melted/had a chunk missing out of it, all fixed now though and driving better then ever.

White smoke for my was the head gasket. I cheaped out the first time and reused head studs. I would take it apart immediately to prevent any further damage if its not already to late, that coolant water will eat at the walls. If everything is good new head gasket and some rap head studs if you don't already have them. The ticking could be lifters, if not already installed I recommend revised lifters. Hope this helps and good luck, I'm working on bringing my sitting engine back to life too.

Thanks guys, I started on this yesterday but I’m just going to bring it back to the engine builder. The timing looks very strange to me but it runs good. When I bring the far right piston (#1) to TDC, the crank pulley is spot on but the cams are not even close. Spun it around again to see if it needed to be on a different stroke and it’s still way off. Been idling and driven about 50 or so miles like that so I don’t know. I paid them plenty, they can have a look at it LOL
Thanks everyone, I’ll keep y’all posted. Sitting at the track now with no car to run

Oh I see what you’re saying. Because it has 4 bolts so it can be put on 1 of 4 ways. However, even if I ignore my crank pulley timing mark it still seems wrong. My cams are not lined up when #1 is at TDC. My local shop did change out my cam sensor for a 1G and switched the firing order. Worked fine after but does that imply the cams had to be moved too?

Thanks for your help btw. 6 pics attached. TDC, pointing to intake Mark, pointing to exhaust mark, other TDC stroke, pointing to each Mark...

Attachments

• 3BF21C56-F388-42E3-B660-BA9DB0D451D7.jpeg
    3BF21C56-F388-42E3-B660-BA9DB0D451D7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • FB0D08FB-8100-48C3-B748-FBD7D1343527.jpeg
    FB0D08FB-8100-48C3-B748-FBD7D1343527.jpeg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 37
  • BBFFF7B6-940A-41CA-8F57-767953AC1A25.jpeg
    BBFFF7B6-940A-41CA-8F57-767953AC1A25.jpeg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 1D59E97F-3BC0-47BE-8B4C-120B40A99F7E.jpeg
    1D59E97F-3BC0-47BE-8B4C-120B40A99F7E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • B7CAACF7-906D-49A8-A0AA-71B34376357A.jpeg
    B7CAACF7-906D-49A8-A0AA-71B34376357A.jpeg
    941.9 KB · Views: 35
  • A5ADDE4B-3CCD-4384-BE01-37DCD160A614.jpeg
    A5ADDE4B-3CCD-4384-BE01-37DCD160A614.jpeg
    1,010 KB · Views: 37
At tdc, the down pins on your cams should be pointing straight up. It looks like your marks will line up once the dowel pins are in the correct placement. Hard to tell if you are actually at tdc with just a screwdriver as reference. We need to see timing marks on the Front case, crank sprocket, oil pump sprocket Take a pic of the crank sprocket timing mark in relation to the timing marks on the lower timing cover as well

So when the dowel pins are straight up the cam marks are perfect. Also, at TDC the crank pulley is lined up with the timing belt cover mark. I think it is “0”. But it doesn’t all happen at the same time. If I line up the crank and TDC the cams are off and obviously the opposite is true. To reiterate the engine was just running fine and we haven’t moved anything.

Doesn't sound like a harmonic balancer issue to me. If that screwdriver is at tdc then I'm guessing the belt has slipped. Take off the covers and line up the actual crank sprocket mark. If cams aren't on your belt has slipped.

Doesn't sound like a harmonic balancer issue to me. If that screwdriver is at tdc then I'm guessing the belt has slipped. Take off the covers and line up the actual crank sprocket mark. If cams aren't on your belt has slipped.
I don’t think it’s slipped because it was just running and driving. See above for issues we had but that’s just smoke and blown head gasket. I’ll follow up with reasons and results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back