The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Automatic shift knob

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i love T handle shift knobs. i have a b&m one now. i want to use one with the momentary button to controll my dual stage boost controller. my question is, how does the wire come out of the shiftknob. out where the threads are, or beside it? i know most automatic shifters are hollow, and i know most people buy t handles for autos, and mine is a 5 spd, and if the wire comes out in the hole that you use to attatch the knob to the shifter, it wont work for me because my shifter isn't hollow, and it would get pinched in the threads. sorry, this is hard to explain, hopefully somebody will understand, and has had one or know the answer.

Back in high school I made my own T-handle in machine shop that fir MY hand perfectly. The buttons on the B&M and HURST shifters controlls nitrous usually, before the WOT/Switch systems..you just hit the button. It can work for anything though...
You think the T-handle is cool?? Go check out a Muscle Mopar from 1968-1972 Big Block car, they got pistol grips, the butt of a hand gun!!! Straight up.

yeah i know. i used to have a 70 swinger with a 340, 4 spd pistol grip shifter, i custom made the pistol grip out of some hard dark wood, stained it sanded it to my hand. it was cool. but nobody has answered my question yet, if anybody has one of these, or knows where the wire comes out, let me know.

Actually the button on muscle cars is used for a device that locks the transmission when it is depressed. Muscle cars use automatic trannies so when the push the button they can rev the engine real high and when they let go, the tranny engages and they are gone.

its' a 12v switch that can be used for ANY 12v accessory....but i agree....they are most popular for trans locks and nitrous

Does anybody know of an aftermarket automatic shift knob for a 1g, they are so damn ugly and so damn big? anything will be better then this thing thanks alot

check the pics in my gallery. Picked it up at pep boys for $15 much better looking than the stocker. You do have to move the O/D switch though

Was just reading the threads on the shift nobs and was wondering if anyone with an automatic tranny has been able to find an aftermarket shift handle for the automatics? If so where?

I dont know if you can do this on DSM's, but i know i have seen a few people with honda's use e-brake handle's for their auto's. :dsm:

24096eclipse2.jpg

I bought this a shifter similar to this one from pep boys for $20. Mounted it and relocated the o/d with a 3-prong switch.

Attachments

• knobcf.gif
    knobcf.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 414
I saw a car once (pretty sure it was a 2g DSM) and they put an aftermarket automatic "knob" and they even put a shift boot on over the rest so it looked like a manual. Didnt look bad at all! You automatic guys might wanna give it a try -Matt

AmpleEclipse said:
I saw a car once (pretty sure it was a 2g DSM) and they put an aftermarket automatic "knob" and they even put a shift boot on over the rest so it looked like a manual. Didnt look bad at all! You automatic guys might wanna give it a try -Matt

That's what Keith Losier did. I'm pretty sure alot of you guys know who that is.

i wanna get a good looken shifter (im automatic tho :cry: ) but i have that big ugly looken over drive button on thier, anyone know if theirs any decent looken automatic shifters with a od button on it? meh thanks for looken at the thread anyway, later

-MaG

You can use any maunal shift knob that you find out there all you will have to do is relocate the overdrive button and that is extremely simple to do. You don't use that button much anyway so just mount it down buy the cigerette lighter with a factory looking button or something.

you forget one thing tho, ROFL i ama newb, i need how too's n junk, if its pretty easy then ill look into it, but i like to read about stuff before i start unscrewen crap :) , so if ya could help me out id appreciate it, thanks man, later
-MaG

What kind of how to are you looking for? Basically get the old shifter off and put the new one on. I know someone on here who just has the od button laying under the center console. He never uses it so pulled it out of the shifter and let it lay down in there.

i dont ever use the o/d, so could i just get an after market one and throw it on thier? im getten tired of the old crappy looken auto shifter, oh yeah i kinda like the idea of bein a poser manual, how would that work? is the boot install pretty easy? and will a manual shift knob go onto a automatic shifter thing? (sorry for the newbness, i cant help it) ROFL thanks, later

-MaG :laser:

you dont ever use O/D LOL overdrive is just us auto guys's 4th gear, if you leave it off not only will you get decreased gas mileage but you will run at higher rpm's at highway speeds when you could run lower rpm's when overdrive is on, its not mandantory to use, but I like the fact that i have another gear to use when im on the highway, its not that complicated, you have L (1st Gear), 2 (2nd Gear), D w/o OD (3rd Gear), and D w/ OD (4th Gear)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back