The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Automatic shift knob

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

you dont need the od button on the shifter.. i hooked up my knob two days ago it was easy as hell!!! all i did was unscrew the knobs screws.. then pull out the console.. in like 3 mins then took a wrench and put it on the 4 inch metal piece thats welded on.. and twisted about five times back and forth and it snapped off easy!! and i painted the bulbs red while i was down there.. it was a snap.. you do need to put od button back on.. so you pull apart the shifter and take out the button but you can keep it under the console..

so you're saying you have O/D all the time or not at all? neither is best for you. O/D all the time won't hurt, but your gas mileage will suffer. You also won't be able to take off as fast. If you don't have O/D, you're gonna heat the tranny up with sustained RPM's on the highway. Push button O/D is there for a reason. I think it should be left there. Form follows function sometimes. Looking good is cool, but not if it screws things up.

:dsm: Does anyone kno where i can order a automatic shiftknob for my 98 gs? :dsm:

yeah I've been looking for that RAZO knob too, but I can't find it either.

razo says it won't work for us. It will. The O/D light won't work unless you know how to make it or want to try. Also, you can't drop to L or 1- whatever. The pin that presses the button down isn't long enough. I just took the pin and got a wooden dowel pin. I cut the dowel pin to where it was slightly longer than the pin that came with it. Put it inside. Works like stock.

i buaght my Razo knob from Machv.com, but it was the biggest peice of shit i had ever seen. Trust me, just stick to the factory one, its not worth it to try for an aftermarket one...

the levoc knobs would probably work too. they are shaped like stock. OR just get a regular auto knob and wire an O/D switch on the dash or something. Some people are doing this and using a shift boot.

i just made my buddy a mold of mine and he is making me carbon fiber cover for mine.

I have a center vent AFC-2 and I got another hazard button from the junkyard and put it in the empty slot, I use it for my o/d. I'll take pics when I get my digicam back.

Cha21 said:
So Having OD on all da time wont cause any probies? Cause from what they told me that was the reason why I had to replace my tranny on my auto cause i had it on all da tym. That and also my tranny fluid. They also told me to turn on OD wen going over 55 but off wen going under 50 is dat true?

That's odd, my owner's manual says to pretty much leave it on all the time except for a few circumstances.

fastplant said:
That's odd, my owner's manual says to pretty much leave it on all the time except for a few circumstances.

so i should leave it on all the time or what? will i have problems in the future utrning it off and on? I turn it on when I get on da hwy and off when not..

leaving the car in O/D can put more strain on it when going up hills and for stop and go driving. O/D is mainly for when you are cruising at speeds of about 45+. (Highway) :thumb: Leaving the car in O/D will affect the gas mileage also. :thumbdown

fastplant said:

what circumstances does it say NOT to use the OD in? i leave mine all the time and i don't get very good gas mileage (225 miles per tank) so when should i not use it?

9D9 MITSU RS said:
leaving the car in O/D can put more strain on it when going up hills and for stop and go driving. O/D is mainly for when you are cruising at speeds of about 45+. (Highway) :thumb: Leaving the car in O/D will affect the gas mileage also. :thumbdown

so me turning my O/D on when going 45+ is good and when i go below 45 off ryt? just makin sure... I dont wanna cause any damage in the future I just got my tranny replaced.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think I will paint the chrome silver or something. I may even get rid of it and go with the button on the dash or something.

^^^^^ That looks good how hard is it to change your e-brake one?

EasyE said:
^^^^^ That looks good how hard is it to change your e-brake one?
It wasn't hard, just annoying. They say that the razo knob won't work with our cars. They also said the momo e-brake won't fit. It doesn't fit, but you can make it fit. I wouldn't do it if you plan to sell or trade the car at some point. I had to do a lot of cutting. OMG

I installed everything myself that I couldn't do. I am going to build an enclosure this summer...or try to. And I need the visors and headliner redone to consider it as FULL interior in my opinion.

Anyway, back to topic... I think options auto salon shows all the auto knobs that are out w/ O/D buttons. Razo and Levoc are the only 2 brands that I know of as far as big name brands. OBX makes a razo knock-off that is supposed to be just as good for a lot cheaper. No clue where to find one tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back