The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Auto Or 5 Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknowalot

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2002
orlando_fl
WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HAVING FUN AND RACING AN AUTO OR 5 SPEED IS THERE ANY COMANY THAT MAKES A STALL WITH A HIGHER STALL SPEED THEN STOCK AND DO ANY ONE MAKE A SHIFT KIT THATS FOR THE HELP

in g2 yes both same size t25 but who cares what they come with stock if you want power your not guna keep a stock turbo if you dont care about power you shouldnt care about what turbo it comes with.

you guys are seriously hilarlious when it comes to this discussion. First of all why would any one post if they have not driven or owned both?? I have an auto, my lil bro has a 5 spd. I love my auto and to think that a GS or RS or ESi is as fast as mine you are out of your mind. My stock 2g against my lil bros stock 1g was a good race. I took the race every time by about a car length. Ok then I raced his buddies 5 spd fwd with a shit load of mods. And he got me by about a car length. I have time slips in my car from colorado 16s mostly and then in minnesota high 15s. Now I saw the fastest stock dsm was a 95 gst that ran a 15.1. Motortrend. Now you are telling me that a stock GS can run high 15s you are crazy. I really wish people didnt just talk straight out of thier asses. Oh yeah when i get out of korea and show up to some of these meets, i will race anyone and show you the true power of an auto.

"never lift to shift" is our motto

BTW i have also owned both i had a AUTO 91 TSI talon that i sold a month after i got it... wasnt anything like a manual..as for racing your buddies..i dont think they can drive because honestly that 1G that was "MODDED" should have handed you your butt... i race my home boys GSX thats heavily modded and is auto granted he runs 12s but he told me flat out that if it was manual (which he is switching to) he would be low 12s high 11s so umm yah...my .02 cents:confused: :shhh:

why...beacause if you new much about automatic drag cars 90% run 3spd auto's he said what would be faster or better for racing i said well if you got lots of $ to spend and have a sub 10sec eclipse 3spd auto is the way to go...other than that 5spd or nothing at all

well i have had both an auto dsm and a manual dsm. if its straigh line accelaration auto would be better imo. first off you can build boost before the launch. second when gears are being shifted in a manual the turbo stops spooling but in an auto its stays boosted.but if its the twisties you like then 5-speed.

I have a 91 auto TSI and a 91 manual TSI, the manual kills my auto hands down the auto tranny seems pretty weak. The manual also seems to have alot more power after 70mph. It is more expensive to upgrade a turbo on a auto I have priced it out.

Originally posted by tja77
I have a 91 auto TSI and a 91 manual TSI, the manual kills my auto hands down the auto tranny seems pretty weak. The manual also seems to have alot more power after 70mph. It is more expensive to upgrade a turbo on a auto I have priced it out.

I dont know if the g1s are skrewy but the g2s use the same turbo and can take the same upgrade turbos so i dont know how that could cost anymore im almost sure that the tranmision has nothing to do with turbo upgrades LOL someone could be selling a turbo for autos for more $$ to people who would belive that they need a diffrent turbo

what does jsheperd run? what about dave buschur or some of those guys? I'd say they would know a little about the subject.

Well first off I own an automatic. Not that I really like it that much, I was just set on buying a talon and when I was looking for one this was the only one I found so I bought it. I can so though that there are benefits to them. First, snow and ice.......so much easier in an auto. Second, how many times have you been so tired that you didnt even want to think about driving........auto comes in handy. Dont get me wrong, I would still go with the 5 speed in second if I had the option, Im just saying I cant really knock it.
BwTalon

Originally posted by BwTalon
Well first off I own an automatic. Not that I really like it that much, I was just set on buying a talon and when I was looking for one this was the only one I found so I bought it. I can so though that there are benefits to them. First, snow and ice.......so much easier in an auto. Second, how many times have you been so tired that you didnt even want to think about driving........auto comes in handy. Dont get me wrong, I would still go with the 5 speed in second if I had the option, Im just saying I cant really knock it.
BwTalon

Ditto.

Its pretty interesting in an auto too when you buil boost. Nice ass launch.

I looked up the statistics too for the 98 GSXs. Statistically it was around 52% were auto and 48% manual.. Odd.

I personally have an auto and would i rather have a 5 speed.... ya. But its not that big of a deal to me. I kind of wish that Mitsubishi made the GSX/GST series with only manual trannys. Which is one good thing that honda has done. On some of their cars (GSR integra, Civic SI) they only come with 5 speed trannys.

I honestly just don't see the purpose of an auto awd. Fwd would be better but awd, how do you launch? You don't get that awesome awd launch, you brake torque and "build boost off the line" bull$%^&. There is no way an auto awd would take a manual awd off the line. I'm not dissing autos at all so all you auto guys don't come crawling down my back.... If you don't like manual or can't drive a mnaual thats fine. IMO autos are not for sports cars. Sure almost every sports car out there is offered in auto, but hey ITS A SPORTS CAR. I'd wouldn't want anything but auto in a luxury car but not in a sports car. Sure i get pissed of in Chicago rush hour traffic but it makes up for it any other day of driving.

Plus auto DSM's sell for alot cheaper cause of the low demand for auto's. I for one would never get an auto unless it's my business vehicle. I love having the feeling of the full control of 5 speed.

I think that having a 5 speed is just a lot more fun to drive. It just gives me this feeling of complete contol of my car. and i think its easier to drive in the snow because you can shift to higher gears earlier so you have less torque which stops the wheels from just spinning on the ice and snow while accelerating.

Originally posted by my95tsi
I honestly just don't see the purpose of an auto awd. Fwd would be better but awd, how do you launch? You don't get that awesome awd launch, you brake torque and "build boost off the line" bull$%^&. There is no way an auto awd would take a manual awd off the line. I'm not dissing autos at all so all you auto guys don't come crawling down my back.... If you don't like manual or can't drive a mnaual thats fine. IMO autos are not for sports cars. Sure almost every sports car out there is offered in auto, but hey ITS A SPORTS CAR. I'd wouldn't want anything but auto in a luxury car but not in a sports car. Sure i get pissed of in Chicago rush hour traffic but it makes up for it any other day of driving.
Man, try to brake and rev to 4k in an auto then smash the gas in go.. Damn. my buddy in his talon. when i watched him do it, the front of the car lifted while the wheels still touched the car flew. Im obviously not saying the auto is faster, im just telling you that its pretty cool to see/ experience. But ya, obviously manual is better. But its funny that more DSMs are Auto than manual..atleast in the years i looked for stats. I wish mitsubishi just produced them all in manual.... would of made things alot easier.

I would have no problems with A/T if the car only shifted at redline, then had intelligent comp system to deal with downshifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back