The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Auto Or 5 Speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknowalot

Probationary Member
Jun 18, 2002
orlando_fl
WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HAVING FUN AND RACING AN AUTO OR 5 SPEED IS THERE ANY COMANY THAT MAKES A STALL WITH A HIGHER STALL SPEED THEN STOCK AND DO ANY ONE MAKE A SHIFT KIT THATS FOR THE HELP

Originally posted by CornerHard
:rolleyes: I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

I've driven my friend's modded 300+hp Audi S4 (twin turbo) w/ autostick several times, and I'd take my less powerful GSX any day of the week over it. I just love pushing the car to the limit through the corners with toe/heeling, and you can't do the same things in the S4.

Do you even know what the point of heel/toe is? It's to match revs. In an automatic you don't have to match revs because you're never out of gear!

gear ratios in an auto have to cover a wider band than in a manual so sometimes an auto will shift you out of where you want to be, especially when cornering, nothing sucks more than carrying good speed into a corner and then lagging out of the corner because the rpms are too low. Also the ability to choose the gear more effectively is what makes a manual more appealing. Not only that but heel-toe downshifts are just plain fun.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents here

Autos and standards have ther advantages and disadvantages depedning on what you are doing with them. First off I'm not quite sure about DSM but i know alot of domestics equipped with autos have a higher final drive gear than manuals do. For example my old 88 Thunderbird, manual had a 3.55 final gear ratio while the autos had 3.73's

Another advantage of autos is that they build boost faster than manuals do, and you can even build boost at a stand-still........something you can't do with standards because a turbo needs load on the engine in order to spool. Auto transmissions also keep boost up better between shifts.

However manual trannies can be better because of the ability to keep the revs in the powerband when up/down shifting through the gears.........but of course only if done properly!! ;) Standards I find are much better for road racing/autocross type of racing, whereas auto seem better suited for the dragstrip.

IMHO high powered turbo cars are better suited with an auto than a standard as first gear goes by so quick that you've already gone past the power band of your engine. And if you don't think so just look at the Grand Nationals they came stock with an auto and were the fastest production car in GM fleet in 86-87.

For everyday driving and the occasional strip time, personally i would choose a standard, mainly for the enjoyment factor. However when my car hits the 300RWHP mark I'm dropping in a C4 auto behind my engine as at that point first gear in my manual will be almost non-existant in my car.

:thumb:
Darryl

Originally posted by dontknowalot
WHAT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HAVING FUN AND RACING AN AUTO OR 5 SPEED IS THERE ANY COMANY THAT MAKES A STALL WITH A HIGHER STALL SPEED THEN STOCK AND DO ANY ONE MAKE A SHIFT KIT THATS FOR THE HELP
I have a 1991 gsx at and I'm looking for a five speed. Five speed is more fun and you get the most out of your gears plus with a loud bov you will turn heads.

Manuals have a fun factor with them, and they are better for most people at the track. Once you start making a lot of power you may want an auto for some of the reasons mentioned a couple posts above this. Manuals are great for having that race car feeling where ever you drive, but can sometimes be a hassle. Personally, I'd only buy a stick because I love the feeling of control over the car. That may change someday when I'm older, have kids, etc. and want to be able to pay attention to my kids or some sh!t like that.

Originally posted by Goblin
A GSX or TSI automatic would hold it's own against gs, rs, esi because it's 4 wheels spinning versus a worthless 2 in the front. But I'm still going to have to go ahead and say that a TSI or GSX manual would destroy a TSI or GSX automatic (not looking for any arguements here, just doing the whole educated opinion thing). My brothers Jeep Grand Cherokee use to own my friends TSI automatic (and they were rated at the same HP), and when I got to test drive a TSI manual the jeep was left far behind.

My last point is this. You will never ever see a professional race car with an auto transmission (NASCAR, KART, F1, WRC, ect.) and whenever the big companies get together to factory test high performance cars (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porshe) they only use manuals for the tests.

So I'm going to have to go with Auto = conviencience (in a test of one equal car to another so no honda civic Si vs a TSI or GSX:laugh: ) and manual = performance.

I am not trying to start anything either, but I guess that you have never watched any of the WRC (World Rally Championship) before. Quite a few of the cars are automatics because they are more reliable and can provide just as much power as a manual. I have also seen many auto drag cars that have blown away any manual car in their class.

I personally own an A/T 99 GSX and I thought that I wouldn't like it at first, but it is my daily driver and it makes the work commute much nicer. Also, it can still move out when I slam down on the gas.

Just remeber, Auto's never lift to shift....

Just my 2 cents...

All WRC have auto/maunuals. this means that they simply push a button and a cumputer shifts for them. Ya know how they move even without their hands on the shifter, that is the automatic option. These guys have BEEEEEFED up trannys and theyre all special metals a synthedicly loobed. Its not fair to compare WRC cars. If you ever get a chance to look at a WRC tranny do it it is interesting.
:dsm:

I race my brother in law in my S10 with a 4.3 Vortec all the time and hand his ass to him.He has a 94 eagle talon non turbo with a stick and mine is auto

After reading though the 5 pages of postes...I can sum it up with just a few words...if you like stick than get one, if you like A/T than get that, they both have pros and cons, just figure out which you appeals to you more. All in all as long as a DSM is attached to it you'll never be unhappy :D

Originally posted by scorpion
After reading though the 5 pages of postes...I can sum it up with just a few words...if you like stick than get one, if you like A/T than get that, they both have pros and cons, just figure out which you appeals to you more. All in all as long as a DSM is attached to it you'll never be unhappy :D

That has to be the best answer that I have heard yet!!! Good job scorpion...

in my experiance a 5 speed is better then an auto but only off the line unless u have a stall converter my friend had a 6500 stall converter on his monte carlo and he could take any stick he pretty much wanted and alot of people don't shift a stick correctly some people let the car redline before they shift but u've already got all the acceleration out of that gear before the red line and if u have an upgraded auto matic like my friend had on the monte carlo it was garunteed to shift within one ten thousandths of a second so in my opinion it just depends but preferably auto.

I have both a 13.5 DSM (5-Speed) and a 12.9 Ford ZX2 (Automatic) *STOP LAUGHING* The ZX2 is faster and is an automatic but the Laser is a 5 speed and I would much rather drive the laser anyday over the ZX2. If you are going off the line the automatic isn't bad, but for everday driving and *racing during comute* get the 5-speed.

I agree that 5 speeds are more fun to drive.

I get less wheelspin off the line with the a/t and FWD then a 5speed and FWD, because of less aggressive 1st gear. I have a friend with a 98 talon 5 speed and pretty much same mods as me, and he sits spinning while I am off.

Originally posted by dynamicdsm
in my experiance a 5 speed is better then an auto but only off the line unless u have a stall converter my friend had a 6500 stall converter on his monte carlo and he could take any stick he pretty much wanted and alot of people don't shift a stick correctly some people let the car redline before they shift but u've already got all the acceleration out of that gear before the red line and if u have an upgraded auto matic like my friend had on the monte carlo it was garunteed to shift within one ten thousandths of a second so in my opinion it just depends but preferably auto.

LOL!!! 6500 stall????yeah right buddy..your friend is ticklin your balls... i guess your friend could have a single dig et's with a 8000 redline on a chevy engine.....later

i've had both, my first car was an A/T jetta and as much as i loved the car i just got seriously bored driving the car. almost made me fall asleep a few times on the way back from chicago at 4am.. yea a A/T is fine for a family car or a lazy ass (no-offense). I am selling that car now and when i bought my car i knew i wanted a M/T i couldn't even drive one i just knew i wanted one. My eclipse is a 5-spd and i just love it, it may not always be as smooth as a auto but u get a better feel for the car and u can squeez a lil bit more outta them.. i love it when im driving down the highway and we are both going 50 for example when he guy in the auto floors it he can only acclerate so much.. but with a stick it's like u can shift down to pull accel. outta nowhere and blow his doors off. maybe that's just me. But when u can downshift and the car throws u against the seat it's something else.. for me M/T is the ONLY way to go for performance and enjoyability, leave the autos for the old granny's *just my 2 cents*
maybe i will get another auto when im too old to throw down the clutch

Before getting my DSM, I always drove automatic cars. I found driving a manual trasmission pretty easy to get the hang of. The clutch in my Talon seems especially forgiving compared to my friend's Saturn SL2 (Which I learned to drive stick on).

I live in the DC/Metro area, so the traffic is HORRENDOUS. I still prefer a manual tranny. It is more fun to drive, though there are definitely those times in practically motionless traffic going uphill where an AT would be nice. However, when you hit a little open road, it's all worth it. Plus, standard trannies are MUCH better for taking turns quick. You can ensure the gear is what you want when you want it for proper power to the wheels on tight turns.

Oh yeah, and 5-6K launches with AWD are just so fun. I'm gonna kill my stock clutch real quick doing them though...

In my opinion, 5 speeds are awesome, and lots of fun. Even when power exceeds 500 at the wheels, it's still pretty fun in AWD, but unfortunately for all the 5 speed lovers, an automatic is going to prevail making that kind of power. It'll need a stall to be efficient, but the launch would be just fine, and wouldn't lose boost througout shifts... making a nice smooth pass faster than what a 5 speed can do.... ALL assuming the car makes "stupid" power. Don't think it's true? Why are all the modded auto Supras fast?

Originally posted by CowPimp
Plus, standard trannies are MUCH better for taking turns quick. You can ensure the gear is what you want when you want it for proper power to the wheels on tight turns.

You do know you can downshift an AT don't you?

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
i love it when im driving down the highway and we are both going 50 for example when he guy in the auto floors it he can only acclerate so much.. but with a stick it's like u can shift down to pull accel. outta nowhere and blow his doors off. maybe that's just me. But when u can downshift and the car throws u against the seat it's something else..

Uh.... when you floor it an auto downshifts automatically, hence the name automatic transmission. :rolleyes:

And, you do know you can downshift an auto don't you?

Originally posted by igs

You do know you can downshift an AT don't you?
Yes, I am aware of that. However, sometimes an AT will shift in the middle of a turn when you don't want it to. If you are really pushing the vehicle hard, then that will definitely cause problems.

Originally posted by CowPimp

Yes, I am aware of that. However, sometimes an AT will shift in the middle of a turn when you don't want it to. If you are really pushing the vehicle hard, then that will definitely cause problems.

Yea it will cause problems, if it did that. If you select the proper gear before entering the turn it will not do that.

Originally posted by Goblin
Racing with an automatic? I thought that was only done in Grand Turismo 3 for Playstation 2 LOL. Well, personally when there is snow everywhere and I'm comuting nothing beats an automatic. But racing with an automatic is worthless, you can't manipulate the gears or engine with an auto. So I'd have to say that nothing beats a manual, except for indy shifters, but I don't think they make those for DSMs (someone please tell me if they do!).

the only difference between an indy shifter and what you see on the street (well functional difference anyway.. there are MANY differences otherwise). is that the indy gearbox is sequential and dog-ring. eclipses have an h-pattern gearbox and they are synchromesh.

otherwise indy cars DO use clutches, and they have to manually shift them like an eclipse. they just cant do a 5-2 downshift, without going through 4 and 3 first :D

but for the topic at hand:
5 speed all the way.. i have never purchased an auto, and a car with an auto transmission is the first thing that will make me turn around and walk away from a prospective purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back