The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Authentic Greddy Type-RS is leaking from adjuster thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommiman

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2004
Vaughan, Ontario_Canada
I just bought a new Greddy Type-RS BOV from Extremepsi. After doing a boost leak test there is an extremely slight leak coming from the top of the BOV where the adjustment screw is. I verified this by putting soapy water there. I do not have any other leaks and it is recirculated. I never did adjust the screw as the instructions say to only adjust it if you have an erratic idle. I did do a search and found some other related threads but did not find the answer to my questions: Is this a known issue with this BOV? Is such a slight leak acceptable?

Yes, try thread tape like above or if that wont work you can get crazy and cot the bolt with some RTV... I have a greddy Tyoe S and I out a differant bolt in there with RTV and I boost leak test to 35 psi with no leaks.

You can also use plumber's pipe dope on the threading to seal the leak. You can find some at your local NAPA store or automotive hardware store. Just ask where they keep their sealants. Permatex also make trustworthy products.

I just retapped the hole with a slightly larger screw. Problem solved!

I’m kind of disappointed that I would have to modify a brand new out of the box BOV for it to work properly. :coy:

Thats the crapy part about them using aluminum for the cap on the bov.

Kinda hard to make a screw adjustable bov that dosent leak. That is like getting mad if you buy a 500 dollar SMIC and have to wrap teflon tape on the vacuum fittings. Just wrap tap around the stupid bolt and problem solved. Also when or if you get to an AFPR you will have to do the same thing with that adjustment screw. It dosent mean tha aeromotive makes a crappy product they just expect you to use common sense.

I’m kind of disappointed that I would have to modify a brand new out of the box BOV for it to work properly. :coy:

Yeah, I know what you mean man. I had two RS' leak on me. Long story short both were defective. Hints why I think Greddy is crap. I think that if you pay 200+ dollars for a product it should work flawlessly. I heard that tephlon sealing tape works the best for your type of situation.

It dosent mean tha aeromotive makes a crappy product they just expect you to use common sense.

I don't know man... I can't agree with you there... :) If it does need teflon tape then it should have been included. Also, it should state in the instructions that it needs to be applied. That's my two cents :thumb:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try the teflon tape this weekend. So all I have to do is take the nut off, wrap the teflon tape on the threads, and then put the nut back on?

All adjustment screw whill leak regardless which brand, much like all AFPR's. Yes they should include this in the instructions and I have emailed Aeromotive many times with no response but this should be a known issue by now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back