The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Are 1g/2g pulse generators compatible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_mork

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I've checked the part numbers for pulse generators from my 91 talon and my 97 Eclipse and the part number are different (91 awd) md737682 (revised) md751033 and (2g) md757025.

That only tells me that the parts are a bit different, not if they are compatible in any useful sense. The reason I ask is that I have spare 2g transmissions in the garage and a bad pulse generator on my 1g so I'd really love to avoid finding/buying some from someone else.

I've checked the part numbers for pulse generators from my 91 talon and my 97 Eclipse and the part number are different (91 awd) md737682 (revised) md751033 and (2g) md757025.

That only tells me that the parts are a bit different, not if they are compatible in any useful sense. The reason I ask is that I have spare 2g transmissions in the garage and a bad pulse generator on my 1g so I'd really love to avoid finding/buying some from someone else.

Yes. They are all the same as far as function.

-John

They are nowhere close to being the same design, the 1G mounts in the speedometer cluster and is a reed switch and the 2G mounts on the transmission and is a pulse width modulated signal.

Awesone. Thank you very much. My father is going to hate ripping parts off my spares and sending them to me but I'll find a way to make it up to him.

Make sure the one with the black wire cover goes to the top of the trans :)

-John

O.P. if your asking about the A/B pulse generators yes they are compatible but the harness is different length from 1G to 2G, (I've rebuilt plenty of mitsubishi transmissions)they rarely go bad though, its usually an internal problem. just a heads up.

This is an update to the thread. It has taken me a while to get to this because of an overseas trip and exams but this is not quite plug and play.

It appears that the pulse generators themselves may be the same but the plug itself is molded differently. The keeper on a 2g plug appears to be on the opposite side and the 2g plug also has some extra raised nubs that act as guides. To make this work I used a knife and shaved off the keeper and guides then temporarily used tape to make sure the connection stayed where it belongs. When I get this car finished I'll make the connection nicer and more permanent.

Running around the block a couple of times has not given me a pulse generator code but I can't call it a success yet because I'm dealing with another issue where the car does not want to shift out of 1st gear. This started after I diagnosed the pulse generator issue and I think is unrelated. When I remove the tcu it goes into limp mode and 3rd so I will update again when I learn more. I'm still not sure if the 1st gear issue is physical or electrical. When it happened in my 2g the valve body just needed cleaning but I never checked if I could force it into 3rd by pulling the tcu.

Running around the block a couple of times has not given me a pulse generator code but I can't call it a success yet because I'm dealing with another issue where the car does not want to shift out of 1st gear. This started after I diagnosed the pulse generator issue and I think is unrelated.

What was causing the problem ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back