The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

another what turbo thread/max power

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reborn750

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2010
Brookings, South_Dakota
Well ive searched the forum and have found alot of people asking what turbo for a stock type 420a, but i am looking to get as much power out of my build as i can. I have eagle rods w/ wiseco pistons, crower stage 2 cams, ported head, pt cruiser valvetrain, 1200cc injectors, 255 lph pump, and megasquirt. Will be doing lsd and drag radials very soon. Please note the car runs, but til downpipe is done i have yet to drive it. I have a cheap ebay turbo kit, but plan on replacing the manifold and turbo. I hear alot of good things about the evo 3 16g but im afraid i have more potential with a larger turbo. I got buddy's in the diesel world who tell me i should go with an hx35, i have also been looking into the gt35r, is this too big for my build? What characteristics am i going to be looking at? slow spool?

your evo 16g isn't going to be a great choice because 420a turbo manifolds don't come with a mitsu flange. they are all T3 that i have seen. you could use an adapter, but IMO that's just another place for a boost/exhaust leak.

1200cc injectors? jesus dude what kind of boost are you trying to run? did u upgrade the fuel lines? feed AND return?

what your power goals are should determine what turbo you use. look at the maps and pick the one best for your setup.
a gt32 was going to be my next turbo from a t04e (26psi close to 400 HP) maybe even a gt35. ball bearings ftw.

you can go with a bigger ball bearing turbo then you can with a journal bearing and still have not as much lagg, due to ball bearings spool much faster.

Last edited:
Ball bearing turbo's do generally spool much faster than their journal bearing counterparts, but a lot of that has to do with wheel design as well. Garrett makes some good turbo's, and I'd never tell anybody to not use one, but do take a second look at the Holset turbo's. They spool very quickly due to wheel design, and they are very rugged turbos. They are inexpensive used, easy to find, and easy to rebuild. There is a few super-threads here on Tuners about Holsets. Search for "Holset".

your evo 16g isn't going to be a great choice because 420a turbo manifolds don't come with a mitsu flange. they are all T3 that i have seen. you could use an adapter, but IMO that's just another place for a boost/exhaust leak.

1200cc injectors? jesus dude what kind of boost are you trying to run? did u upgrade the fuel lines? feed AND return?

what your power goals are should determine what turbo you use. look at the maps and pick the one best for your setup.
a gt35 was going to be my next turbo from a t04e (26psi close to 400 HP) maybe even a gt32. ball bearings ftw.

you can go with a bigger ball bearing turbo then you can with a journal bearing and still have not as much lagg, due to ball bearings spool much faster.

yes 1200cc injectors, i will be running e-85 so i will be needing alot of fuel. As for goals i have no idea, ive never built a car that wasnt a carbeaurated sbc so i really have no idea what to expect. I would like to squeeze as much potential horsepower out of this car as possible, i would like to say i want 400hp out of it but if thats too far of a stretch for this little motor then i will just be happy with whatever i can get

you can get 400 hp out of it. my turbo venge was close to 400hp and it was DD for awhile on 93 pump gas. if you go e85 you wouldn't need to lower your compression nearly as much, and that car would be a good DD.

the record HP on a 420a is 718 last i heard.

beware though when you get into that much HP on FWD your first and 2nd gear become useless because you'll never have traction in them LOL

i would say a gt32 would be a better option for 400 then a 35.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back