The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

another fuel line solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A while back the feed line just below my fuel filter cracked and started leaking. As a quick fix i cut the bad part out and used fuel hose and hose clamps, slightly flaring the tube ends. This didn't work for very long. The fuel line dried out and started leaking from the ends. Forced to find a better way to patch the fuel line without re-doing the whole thing. I came up with this solution:

First and foremost, i removed the battery and box. Made it a whole lot easier to get to the fuel line.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Picked up a double flaring tool at autozone for $20 but doesn't work very well. would have been ok with the single flare for $10. A little JB weld, the original fitting that attached the feed line to the fuel filter and an o-ring.

I had to cut the fuel line past the bend routing it up to the filter. I put the o-ring on first then the filter fitting. Used some sandpaper to clean off the fuel line. Used the flare tool to flare out the end enough for the fitting to grab. It gets a little tight with the flare tool but works out fine once you figure a good positon. Smeared some JB weld on the feed line to make sure it seals. Pull the fitting up to the flare and used the o-ring to butt up against the back of the fitting, keeping the fitting from sliding and keeping the JB weld from running out before setting. Also, smeared some on the back of the fitting and o-ring. If i ever have to take that apart again, it'll be to replace the entire fuel line.

Went to Pepboys and found these AN fittings by Mr. Gasket. Buying the straight -6an hose end, 45 degree -6an hose end, steel braid fuel line and the pipe thread to -6 an adapter cost right at $60. When dealing with pressure, you can't beat compression or flare fittings.
While the JB weld was still wet, i teflon taped the fitting and screwed on the straight hose end of my patch line. Let that sit for a day to make sure the weld was cured.

The next day... I used teflon tape on the pipe thread of the AN adapter and screwed that into the bottom of the filter. The pic is a little fuzzy, sorry, but you get the idea.

Last but not least, attached the 45 degree AN fitting to the bottom of the fuel filter and re-installed. This is what it looks like. Cranked up the FPR to 70 psi and monitored for 5-10 min. No more leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back