1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Alternator Swap (Intrepid into 1g dsm) (SOLVED"DOES NOT WORK")

Posted by triggerx, Oct 23, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I’m looking for an alternator upgrade for my 90 talon. I’m just curious if anyone has tried putting an Intrepid alternator (99-01) or Chrysler 200M alternator into our cars?

The housings look similar in pictures, but I don’t have a physical part to test.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 609DSM

609DSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2019
    Princeton, New Jersey
    As long as the connection works and the mounting bolts are in the same spots it should work. If the mounts don't line up then there isnt a way to install it unless you fabricate your own mount for it

Street Build 139  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    triggerx likes this.
  3. Dhan

Dhan Supporting Member

Joined Apr 29, 2010
    Denver, Colorado
    I know you're asking about Chrysler alternators, but thought I'd mention the Saturn alternator swap was the go-to for a long time. They're cheaper and more powerful than the DSM units. The alternator from the 93-99 Saturn 1.9L DOHC motors is what you're looking for. Most involved part is some grinding and filing and a little rewiring.

2K  4

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white and triggerx like this.
  4. triggerx

triggerx Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Thanks for the responses both of you.
    I am aware of the Saturn swap, and I definitely have the tools and experience to complete.
    I guess I’m always just looking for more “Junkyard”
    Upgrades to our cars that may not have been discovered yet.

I suppose I was more or less curious if this could be a viable option for those who just want a simpler install but still get a bit of an upgrade.

It’s a Mitsubishi alternator that should be rated for 130Amps. I was hoping this particular case had already been touched on and didn’t have to get one myself.

609DSM likes this.
  5. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I highly recommend the rebuild/rewinding your alternator route. Cost me around $100 and I have the exact same 2g alternator, rebuilt, but it's 115A.

Street Build 319  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 582  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. o0GuitarKid0o

o0GuitarKid0o Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    Screenshot_20191024-125840_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191024-125814_Gallery.jpg

I used this alternator from a 1998-2002 Saturn . You barely have to grind the block .

Also I made a quick tensioner using the factory tensioner and a small peice of metal (its temporary but works) .
    Could not find a new oem alternator so I got this from the wrecker for 30$ 14.3 volts at idle and when 13.5 heat soaked .

The bonus of this alternator is you dont have to worry about the stupid fan hitting your tensioner. Belt goes on the ribs closest to the fender nice an straight

Make sure you get the plug also.
    And alls you have to do is remove the factory rad fan to get room to get in there with the grinder and the new alternator.
    Its alot easier than removing the power steering pump.

Street Build 589  7

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
    triggerx likes this.