The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Alternator relocation, now it smokes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXftw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Medford, Oregon
Yep, my car was working fine, on a 90a saturn alt, did the relocation kit, moved it all to the back, soldered all connections, insulated/ran everything and took care, turned the key on, I see no batt light on the dash, then I look and alternator is smoking slightly, out the top where the 4 pin plug is. I pull it, its hot where the L pin is. I start troubleshooting, we have an awesome electrical probe (the hook) that detects shorts, delivers power/ground on command, ect. Well long story short I dont find a single problem with the alternator unhooked. The positive power wire is fine, with the 4 pin unhooked I have key on power on L pin, that doesnt have a short before the alternator, and S pin is the same way. Note that it does still smoke/get hot with S pin removed out the picture, it is L pin doing it. Could a bad ground on the alternator mounting do this? The bracket is all anodized and I brushed it off best I could but thats literally the only thing I can come up with before I do more troubleshooting tonight is maybe doing a ground wire to batt. Thanks for any help!

sounds like a ground issue, but hard to say for sure. id ground the alt with a strap from the mounting bolt or alt body directly to the chassis or battery negative...or both. IMHO the more grounds you have the better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back