1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Aftermarket Evo cam gears in a DSM??

Posted by Ruben16V, Jan 26, 2014

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Ruben16V

Ruben16V Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2008
    Madrid, Spain, Europe
    Well, I've been reading and can't find a firm answer.
    I got a very good deal in a set of hks cam gears, but they came out of an Evo VIII.
    I' ve been searching and it seem like the timming marks are different, so I'm wondering if I put the HKS gear over the stock one alignin the cam pin hole and I make new timming marks with a dremel, Could I use the Evo gears without any problems???

Perhaps is an idiot question but I don't want to spend a lot of money on cam gears and I think thats a good chance

2. GsXdSmKingGsX

GsXdSmKingGsX Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    No, our motors spin in the opposite direction and the timing sensor in the Evo 8 is on the exhaust cam.

3. Ruben16V

Ruben16V Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2008
    Madrid, Spain, Europe
    I'm only talking about cam gears, not cams.

4. WES_393

WES_393 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 6, 2011
    Colo Spgs, Colorado
    The engines don't spin opposite directions, they are just mounted opposite. And the CAS has nothing to do with cam gear selection since it's driven by the opposite end of the cam. The only exceptions are the 95/96 DSM which uses a trigger plate mounted to the intake cam gear itself and the Evo 9 which has MIVEC.

HKS cam gears are simply labeled "4g63" since they are interchangeable between DSM/Evo. They have 2 sets of timing marks so they can be used on either engine. Take a look for yourself. You can see the Evo timing mark which is straight up from the Dowel pin, and the DSM mark which is 90* from the Evo mark.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/hks_purple_cam_gears.htm

5. GsXdSmKingGsX

GsXdSmKingGsX Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Holy brain farts. I completely misread. Excuse my post.

6. gieri002

gieri002 Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2008
    Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota
  7. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    They do have seperate locating pims on evos to our dsm's, it can be drilled to fit our engine but might not have the marks for timing though. Other then that all cam gears from.a 4g63 are pretty much interchangeable

Road Race Build 9K  10  55

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  8. Ruben16V

Ruben16V Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2008
    Madrid, Spain, Europe
    Ok, thank you very much.
    So as I thought they are all interchangeable, and if not, you only have to make new timming marks.
    I'm going to buy and try these set of HKS gears :thumb: