The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

*AFC NEO REFLASH* (-30+ correction on 550's)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXeclipsePSI

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 7, 2003
New Port Richey, Florida
Go to REFLASH INFO

Hey guys,

My car got a 6bolt swap not to long ago, needless to say I have driven it 2000miles plus 1200 miles to FL when I moved and have't driven the car since other then keep the battery charged drive around the block. Now 1st off its harder for me to tune my AFC in florida, Im use to NJ tuning, seems to me to be alittle different with the air pressure and desitiy here.

Now before my 6bolt swap i was -20's across the board on my SAFC-2 to get a nice tune out of it "I tuned it with datalogger/someone else tuned it with LC-1 also" and now that I got my SAFC-2 robbed before I moved I purchased the AFC Neo.

Now I have my low's set to -20 -21 across that what the datalogger get me to. Now my HI's are crazy compaired to what they use to be. My highs start at -21 to -34@3300 and go up to -37 -38 around 4. Now I'm dont want to make anymore corrections but this is the only way the car will make any pull. If I increase the fuel settings, the car will just not go anywhere, if I zero it out I have to get to atleast -20 something to get it to feel normal. I know I'm not making the power I should be any ideas why my cars got a correction factor like that.

Specs:
Base timing @ 5-7*
550cc (atleast so they said when ordered 3 yrs ago)
Walbro 255HP
AFC Neo
EvoIII B16G
FMIC

Problems:
No AFPR w/255HP
No Wideband
Exhuast Manifold leaks (studs missing/broken/see oil/smell oil burning) 6bolt came w/ broken studs
Exhuast leak past 02 at downpipe bolt up
Slight boost leak at TB, replaced shaft seals and TB gaskets, still small leak
Black clouds at high boost
Car is pulling timing/holding back at 3500-4500

thanks for your help.
Car has no insurance til Tuesday next week, so I cant log til then sorry, but I will after that.:dsm:

First i would suggest fixing those leaks.

they will reak havoc on your A/F's.

get an AFPR, it helps a lot with the 255FP

Looking at your settings i wanted to tell you you are running lean with your original tune (assuming that the FPR is not being over run by the 255)

550's are 18% larger than your 450's.
So that means on your Low side you want to take out 18% across the board to make your ECU think its still driving with 450's installed.

I'm trying to fix the leaks, I'm tight on cash, I'm hoping a extractor for the broken studs gets it out, and a tap cleans up the threads for the new studs. I want to helicoil it but I need more money for that. The TB leak, I tired and tired I think it may be my XS FMIC kit, the TB elbow it curved to tight to get a wrench on the lower TB bolt.

As for the AFC NEO, I check the software ver. and its 1.020 which would make it under the 1.103. I guess I need to find a fix, I want to drive my car, the fix on the webpage about sounds good. Is that what I'm trying to do is keep it under 1000hz? I dont understand this part of tuning as much as the rest of the car.

Thanks for the input, I do think the NEO could be the problem, it is tricky to tune, and I only ran a 14.5 at the track last, when I ran a 13.2 without FMIC and 6bolt.

Ok, I looked up the thread on 3si.org and found out more info, I do think this is my tuning problem, cause I can tune, I just can't tune this thing, and I know why. My 02's stay about the same all the time, never see a big or small change unless I go crazy.

3si.org Link Topic NEO Reflash

I also included here what is covered out of the reflash from 3si.org

Quote from Apexi Email to member
Yes, everything on that thread is accurate as far as 1.) We recognize there is a problem with the AFC NEO and the Karman type sensors, 2.) we are definitely working on fixing the problem as soon as possible and 3.) expect to have the new revised reflash program towards the end of this month. To be honest with you, there is no confirmation at this time on what exact day we should expect to get the reflash program from our engineers. Go ahead and attach the return form to this email and you can send the unit in before you go on vacation. Hopefully, but no gaurantee, the reflash will be available by then and I can send back the reprogrammed unit by the time you get back from your vacation.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
(Out of Date responce, firmware upgrade available)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must Call for PDF forms and RMF

Apexi Customer Support Line
714-685-5700
CA
9am-6pm

NEO reprogramming criteria:
1. Using NEO on Karman sensor car (Mitsubishi and some Toyotas)
2. Last five digits in the serial number is smaller than 13800
(sample serial number: AFC4 UN06-13726)
3. There is no Karman compatibility sticker on the back

Reflash turn around time 48hours
Pay shipping to Return to Apexi (one way) Free T-Shirt

Thanks for the help, this explains my problems at the track, 02's where .00 at one point down the track on my logs. I was using 110octane and running 25psi..

UPDATE!!!!!!!! 7.3.08
I just got off the phone with Keith something at ex.110, very helpful nice guy. He explained they are still waiting for update from japan, hold on to the unit. I asked about the damage if any to the car, he stated to put that with my email to customer service. He advised me that I will get the info packet in the email, and to hold on to the unit till they contact me. I also asked about anything they are willing to do to make my car drivable without the afc and he said no. I was hoping just to get a SAFC-2 back and get rid of the NEO. But I'm still waiting, it has been 12 hours, no paperwork yet.

Thanks again!

I need to go ahead and contact Apexi about my neo also. I dont really drive my car much is the only reason i havent contacted them yet. It just suxs not having it tuned when you know it can run better. I actually just found out about this problem about 2 weeks ago thats why i knew were teh post was about the problem of them. Hopefully they will have a fix out for them soon

I now got the form from Keith Imoto at apexi, I have attached it below download it and follow the instructions. DO NOT I REPEAT, DO NOT Send your unit it, just fill in the info and fax it to keith for now, they will contact you when its time to ship them in.

CLICK ON the DOWNLOAD LINK
Speical Return Form.doc.pdf

AFC NEO Reprogramming Return Form

Hope this fix comes soon, I really really want to drive my car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back