The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

AEM AEM v1 Consensus

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connect PC to ECU with ECU connected. Then go through the following setup.

On the main screen header, click on "ECU", scroll down to "Update EMS Firmware" and select.

*click on "next" two times and a file select screen will appear, it's the AEM program file folder -->AEM Pro folder --> FIN Files folder --> select AEM15 v1.19b, then continue through the rest of the screens.

it's really self explanatory. If you have a crazy old version firmware on the ECU (pre-2005), then the .pdf file is in the program folder - AEM --> AEM PRO --> V1 19 Conversion Notes.pdf -- this will help with converting an existing tune of earlier firmware to the more updated firmware.

Since I am not near one of my cars currently you will have to simply go through the remaining steps that is completely outlined in the detailed step-by-step process that AEM gives you.

And no, the firmware files are not seperate downloads, they are part of the current program download in the FIN files folder.

Attachments

• aemstep1.JPG
    aemstep1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 293
  • aemstep2.JPG
    aemstep2.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 194
  • aempdflink.JPG
    aempdflink.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Also, it is recommended that you disconnect you coils & injectors while doing a firmware update. During the update process things get disconnected & damage to the injector & or coil drive may happen. I just disconnect the two connectors on top of the fuel rail that go to the power transistor & the connector that each of the injectors split out from while doing firmware upgrades.

Thanks for pointing me to the info...I actually attached that PDF to an earlier post. And yes, I have done a lot over the last 2 years. It has just been a long process and I have had to take my time due to money issues. I know it may come across to you guys like I don't know what I'm doing, but you'd be surprised. I am really just now being able to focus on/complete this project and I guess where I went wrong was initiating a discussion while researching rather than after. I may not be very active on this board but I will prove to you guys (not that you care) that I know a thing or two and that this project is real and almost complete. This is something I have always wanted to do and just now have enough money to make it a reality.\

Edit: BTW, I completely forgot about that original thread. That is how busy I have been. I work for a startup and it consumes most of my time, but things are starting to smooth out now. Also, I wasn't trying to say the fw and sw were separate downloads for sure...I was just saying that AEM did have fw releases...apparently there is even a fw 1.21 that was released specifically for the LS1 (Not sure why). The fact that it is contained in the software download is great...what really threw me for a loop was when the service provider AEM pointed me to said he didn't know where to find the firmware. I just blindly trusted what he said to me...I guess I just assumed since AEM pointed me there they would be knowledgeable and I didnt mention anything other than losing tune and he said firmware halfway through my sentence with such conviction...sounded right haha.

Have any of you heard of FF Chips? They have a service where you can send in your AEM Series 1 for a flat rate of $200. There is a full list of what they check and repair. I wonder if that would be worth it in this case... I am going to try and connect tomorrow and make sure the firmware is up to date.

http://ff-squad.com/ecu2/?page_id=304

Last edited by a moderator:
AEM's tech department has always been a pile of crap for helpful information. They have excelled at that for over a decade.

The reason why most of us have pushed for the Haltech components over the last few years is that they are bringing a great product to the table with comparable pricing and they have excellent technical support. Does that mean in this circumstance to sell what you have and get their product? no, it simply is the cold hard facts. The Haltech Elite 750 or Elite 1500 would fit the ability for your car while having knock control on the Elite 1500; both have flex fuel capability built in, and built in 3-bar MAP sensors. You would still need to get a plug & play harness or a flying lead harness, and then ideally an ignition box and wideband with it. Here is a very intuitive table showing the differences between the Elite ECU's on the market currently (Elite 550, 750, 1500, 2500, 2500T) - http://www.haltech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DL-HaltechECUChart.pdf

The community knew AEM was going to dump the V1 for support because it was almost 15 years old since the first ones were produced. I actually have #1310-0001 as my backup on the shelf here which was the beta-tester box for Andrew Brilliant's 2G eclipse way way back in the day. Personally, the V1 had less known reliability issues than the V2 boxes and were cheaper to get. The AEM Infinity is a great product, but again, it's over a decade newer than V1, technology has changed a lot since 2001. With the V1, it is easy to use, and when you get good with the AEMPro and AEMLog software, then learn the AEMTuner and AEMData software from the V2 (which can be used with the V1), then you can learn alot more about your setup and tuning. The AEMPro software is personally more user friendly to me and the fuel/ignition mapping tables in AEMTuner are easier to spot hiccups in the tune that you can smooth out. The AEMLog software is simple and does the job if you have your datalogging parameters properly set up, and DO NOT USE AUTOLOG on AEMPro; it likes to crash when you are downloading the autolog file afterwards. ALWAYS manually press F6 to start and end the logging in manual mode, then save the file; then you won't have any downloading issues. AEMTuner I have had no issues with auto-logging and downloading, but I always manually start/finish the log for simplicity and reliability.

Thanks, @twicks69 . That's a lot of good info. I didn't realize you could use AEMTuner with the v1, but I will start with AEMPro. Admittedly, I can fall victim to hype on this stuff and/or superstition...just a knee jerk reaction to get "the best". That is not a smart way to go about this considering limited funds. For example, I still have the stock brakes...for me to spend $1500 and then have to ignore the brakes (among other things) would be a terrible decision when I already have this AEM.

I agree that there are other forums out there that are "worse" in terms of how users respond. I own a car tuning forum (actually the members of the forum and myself own it).... and we've taken the approach that you cannot ask a "stupid" question to us. I welcome the opportunity to help someone whether it is my opinion that they have received my advice well or not. Asking the same thing multiple times means it's easier for someone to find the same info if they search for it in the future. There's nothing wrong with answering the same questions over and over. I have worked linux server 'customer' issues for nearly ten years now and I cannot count how many times I've answered some of the common questions. It's only the inexperienced or the immature people that treat those that don't know as much as them as if they have some sort of shortcoming. I say "immature" because I've seen this behavior in "adults" too many times. I'm not here to stand on a pedestal, I just wish people would realize that it's much easier to help someone (even the same person on the same problem twice) than it is to act like it's out of your way to reply.

I have a V1 AEM that I intend to use at some point, it's just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust because the person i bought it from said it would lose it's tune every now and then. This thread helped me understand that this could have potentially been a grounding issues in that person's car (although I kind of doubt it because of who that person is). In any case, thank you to those here that are here to help people no matter what, you're who really keep this place together. I also thank those that are a bit jaded for knowing a bit more than the normal user because you have the ability to pass knowledge down to others, I just hope that you decide to do it in a way that is easy to digest if you're prone to not.

Back when I was getting started we had AEM Classic. The install came with the User's Guide & EFI Basics pdf. Somewhere along the way they stopped including EFI Basics & guessing it was with the switch to AEMPro. I read this 4 or 5 times while getting "tuning" all sorted out & still reference it occasionally. This is the first thing I recommend reading for learning to tune & the theories in it are universal for any ECU/EMS but the examples are from AEM's software. I think somewhere inside it says before tuning make sure everything is mechanically sound (includes electrical & wiring) & you can not tune around mechanical problems.

Attachments

• AEM EFI Basics_V1.3.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
@Mello , I have those files still too. They are very useful.

When you download AEMPro, it should still have the files in the AEMPro Instructions subfolder.

Here is another helpful file to have - undocumented settings file.

Attachments

• AEM_undocumented_settings_v1.2.doc
    2 MB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I have a V1 AEM that I intend to use at some point, it's just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust because the person i bought it from said it would lose it's tune every now and then. This thread helped me understand that this could have potentially been a grounding issues in that person's car (although I kind of doubt it because of who that person is).

Hi! I was wondering what happened with that ems. You might want to have FF-squad check it out.

Haha, speak of the devil. I've been tuning my girlfriend's 2000 Honda Civic EX on an AEM V2 recently and I love it. I can't wait to try tuning a DSM with one. My car's been down for a few months now because a freeze plug that I cannot easily replace leaked. I'm going to have to remove the motor and while it's out I'm going to add more shims to the Quaife ATB I put in it since it's making a nice whining noise on decel.

I've found that when you don't know what you're doing with cars you can definitely create a lot of extra work for yourself... as an example, I installed the quaife and shimmed it improperly and now I have to take it back apart to fix it.

I'm excited to use the V1 whenever I get around to it, hopefully it works out well.

Also, there's a guy named Jonathan Fasking on youtube that has a great video series on tuning AEM V2. I'm sure a lot of the concepts would apply to the V1 as well. He's a bit "beat a dead horse" about some things but I definitely got my girlfriend's car boosting all the way to redline using his videos. I just took it on a 400mi round trip and it did very well the whole way.

Connect PC to ECU with ECU connected. Then go through the following setup.

On the main screen header, click on "ECU", scroll down to "Update EMS Firmware" and select.

*click on "next" two times and a file select screen will appear, it's the AEM program file folder -->AEM Pro folder --> FIN Files folder --> select AEM15 v1.19b, then continue through the rest of the screens.

it's really self explanatory. If you have a crazy old version firmware on the ECU (pre-2005), then the .pdf file is in the program folder - AEM --> AEM PRO --> V1 19 Conversion Notes.pdf -- this will help with converting an existing tune of earlier firmware to the more updated firmware.

Since I am not near one of my cars currently you will have to simply go through the remaining steps that is completely outlined in the detailed step-by-step process that AEM gives you.

And no, the firmware files are not seperate downloads, they are part of the current program download in the FIN files folder.
Do you have a start up califbration for a 1g 4g63t? I am planning to run Speed Density

There should be a basic one in the software, then you change the sensor type from MAF to speed density, specify what MAP sensor and IAT sensor you are using and it is fairly straight forward from there. Calibrate TPS, calibrate crank signal, etc.

No, I do not have any base tunes. You are responding to a 7 year old post, and I said back then that I haven't done this for a decade LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back