The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

97-99 Crankwalk

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coreboy

Probationary Member
Aug 10, 2006
Wheaton, Illinois
Ive had several people tell me several different things about the 97-99 crank walk issues. One person told me that they eliminated the issue with revision of the oiling system, and another person told me that the crank walk is even worse in the 97-99's.
Help!

There is no exact answer to why crankwalk happens... This subject is :beatentodeath:
Don't worry about it until you see symptoms...

1.) Clutch sticking to floor on hard left turns.
2.) Ability to move crank pulley...

Those are two pretty decent giveaways... If it does happen, all the more reason for a 6-bolt. :thumb:

Crankwalk = overrated...

There is no exact answer to why crankwalk happens... This subject is :beatentodeath:
Don't worry about it until you see symptoms...

1.) Clutch sticking to floor on hard left turns.
2.) Ability to move crank pulley...

Those are two pretty decent giveaways... If it does happen, all the more reason for a 6-bolt. :thumb:

Crankwalk = overrated...

Why would you say its overrated? Do you have any experience with it?

Coreboy, here is an interesting theory for you to check out.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

My buddy has a 7 bolt block at his shop that they built for a customer. All of the internals were replaced with aftermarket goodies and it crankwalked right after they first started it up. So after reading this theory, we checked the oil squirters and sure enough the squirter for the main bearing was stuck open. :notgood:

Why would you say its overrated? Do you have any experience with it?

Coreboy, here is an interesting theory for you to check out.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

My buddy has a 7 bolt block at his shop that they built for a customer. All of the internals were replaced with aftermarket goodies and it crankwalked right after they first started it up. So after reading this theory, we checked the oil squirters and sure enough the squirter for the main bearing was stuck open. :notgood:

I was just saying it is overrated because people jump to conclusions about it too often... It has become one of those fear factor things. In the comparison of 6 to 7-bolt on here it says about 20-35% of 7-bolts crankwalk. I wouldn't worry about it until you have symptoms, that is why I was saying it is overrated.

I was just saying it is overrated because people jump to conclusions about it too often... It has become one of those fear factor things. In the comparison of 6 to 7-bolt on here it says about 20-35% of 7-bolts crankwalk. I wouldn't worry about it until you have symptoms, that is why I was saying it is overrated.

I agree. Many people I talk to that don't have a DSM know DSM's strictly because of the crankwalk issue. The truth is ANY engine can crank walk; 6-bolts can, 350 V8's can, ANYTHING. It just happens to be more prevalent than normal on 7-bolts. I definitely back up the notion that, unless you begin to see symptoms, don't worry about it.

To all that are sick of hearing about these threads... I do apologize.
I realize people are tired of hearing about crank walk, the only thing i was asking really was the fact that the 97-99's had less of a probability. Thank you Eastwood95.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back