The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

96 Mirage with 4g63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

galantgold

Probationary Member
Sep 29, 2004
Garner, North_Carolina
Hey,

i got a 92 Eagle Talon Tsi now but i was thinking since i already have fwd why not just get another mitsu with a lighter body, and i was thinking of swaping the talon tranny and engine into a 96 mirage, i was if this could be possible. And what numbers you think i would run with that lighter body with stock specs.

Thanks

never has been done, its pretty much impossible to give u estimates

not a good idea to do this becasue a mirage isnt exactly a race car....neather is the talon but its a sports car and the mirage is a economy car....have fun rigging up suspension for it, strut bars, camber bars...anything its not a car that is made for racing...i dont suggest to do this swap...its pointless

I thought in japan they had an all wheel drive mirage before with turbo but i could be way off base thought i saw one on a jackie chan movie.

dont flame me im not the best with remebering things but interesting idea man nothing wrong with being creative

the evo i-iii were based on the mirage chassis so its not just an economy car and im pretty sure they make some suspension stuff for it seeing as how i can get lowering spring for a ford aerostar van. if you have the money and time go for it. good luck

i1nk83 said:
the evo i-iii were based on the mirage chassis so its not just an economy car and im pretty sure they make some suspension stuff for it seeing as how i can get lowering spring for a ford aerostar van. if you have the money and time go for it. good luck

mirage or lancer chassis?

galantgold said:
Hey,

i got a 92 Eagle Talon Tsi now but i was thinking since i already have fwd why not just get another mitsu with a lighter body, and i was thinking of swaping the talon tranny and engine into a 96 mirage, i was if this could be possible. And what numbers u think i would run with that lighter body with stock specs.

Thanks

Lots of people have pulled off the swap in stuff like older colts and of course starions, not sure how many have done it in a mirage 96 or newer. I've been wanting to put one in an older mid 90's Hyundai Elantra as a side project. I know its been done, but I know it would turn heads all day long since i work at a Hyundai dealership.

ok well IT IS not impossible at ALL

its just as easy as a colt or a starion, go here dude www.mirageforums.net they do it all the time its not hard and well they are faster than a stock dsm.

as long as the engine isn't mounted in the opposite dirrection of dsms (intake on the drivers side) your ok, i think they started transverly mounting them in 98, and all dsm suspension suff fits mirages, i had a mirage and have done this swap twice, it takes some work but it is entirely possible and way worth it, in power to weight ratio and as a DAMN good sleeper..........................so there ya go hope that helps

oh and you can also swap the 4g63t into
3rd gen colts, summits, and mirages(and also awd conversions as well) see 4g61t.org
89-93 hyundai excels (4g15 engine), elantras(4g37?), and sonatas(4g63n/t)
an also early model s-coupes

as long as it shares a mitsu drivetrain and the engine ISN'T transversly(sp) mounted then it is entirley possible

And just so you know. This is a local guy, 94 Mirage 2 door. 10.89@129 on pump gas. :thumb:

Attachments

• 389938_19_full.jpg
    389938_19_full.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8,102
theres a 2 door 96ish mirage here with an evoVI motor i believe, very easily done with that motor, the car hauls ass too..

Matt

I'm an admin over at www.mirageforums.net I've seen quite a few '89-'92 (3G) and '93-'96 (4G) Mirage/Colt/Summits with a 4G63 swap from a DSM. If you want I even have a bunch of vids of swapped 4Gs on the track.
We also have a handful of users that have Evo IV-VI motors swapped into their '97-'02 (5G) Mirages.

Chris

1320Motorsports said:
theres a 2 door 96ish mirage here with an evoVI motor i believe, very easily done with that motor, the car hauls ass too..

Matt
Is that one silver? If so its AdamJ I believe, and if I'm not mistaken he's working on swapping in an Evo AWD setup.

Chris

unless its on a 3g csm good fudging luck you have to do ALOT to make a 5g awd like cut the rear panel to put the driveline hump in it and alot of stuff, definately not for the faint of heart, yet possible

The swap has been done many times. I have seen it done and it is a quick combo. The evo 1-3 i think were just US spec mirages with 4g63t and AWD. I don't know how hard it would be to swap, but it probably takes about the same work as a 2g n/t to a 4g63t. search around you may find your answer on other forums.

Sic95gst said:
I don't know how hard it would be to swap, but it probably takes about the same work as a 2g n/t to a 4g63t.
Its actually a LOT easier than swapping a 4G63 into a 2GNT. I dunno about the 3G, but only one mount needs to be modded to fit a 4G63 into a 4G. Everything else bolts up, and with the correct flywheel/clutch setup you can use any of the stock Mirage trannys.
Other than Sakura, the fastest vid I have is a '93 Colt 4 door FWD running a 9.68 @ 143MPH.

Chris

Lancer14 said:
Is that one silver? If so its AdamJ I believe, and if I'm not mistaken he's working on swapping in an Evo AWD setup.

Chris

Is this the same kid that has a Silver one with the evo 8 engine in MAryland? I met him at Mason-Dixon. His car ran 13.8 at 104mph. He went slow through 1st-2nd cause it has an the open diff. still. He was afraid to hop or spin in fear of snapping something.

ezspoolin said:
ok well IT IS not impossible at ALL

its just as easy as a colt or a starion, go here dude www.mirageforums.net they do it all the time its not hard and well they are faster than a stock dsm.

as long as the engine isn't mounted in the opposite dirrection of dsms (intake on the drivers side) your ok, i think they started transverly mounting them in 98, and all dsm suspension suff fits mirages, i had a mirage and have done this swap twice, it takes some work but it is entirely possible and way worth it, in power to weight ratio and as a DAMN good sleeper..........................so there ya go hope that helps

oh and you can also swap the 4g63t into
3rd gen colts, summits, and mirages(and also awd conversions as well) see 4g61t.org
89-93 hyundai excels (4g15 engine), elantras(4g37?), and sonatas(4g63n/t)
an also early model s-coupes

as long as it shares a mitsu drivetrain and the engine ISN'T transversly(sp) mounted then it is entirley possible

Transversely mounted just means the engine is mounted sideways. It doesn't have anything to do with what side the engine is on.

midnght said:
Is this the same kid that has a Silver one with the evo 8 engine in MAryland? I met him at Mason-Dixon. His car ran 13.8 at 104mph. He went slow through 1st-2nd cause it has an the open diff. still. He was afraid to hop or spin in fear of snapping something.
Yeah, that sounds like Adam. I think he lives in Frederick, MD as well.

Chris

Lancer14 said:
Yeah, that sounds like Adam. I think he lives in Frederick, MD as well.

Chris

Yeah, thought so. His car is nice. It is going to be a killer once the conversion is completed. He might be able to make some decent money giving out his services and time on it once he is done.

That enginebay is TIIIIIIIIIGHT (tight as in cramped) it looks nice aswell, just wouldn't want to be the one working on it. OMG :thumb:

Here are some pics of the car. It is the same guy.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Its too bad they never sold the 4G or 5G Mitsubishi Colt/Mirage Cyborg over here. It would be hard for me to resist doing a 4G63 swap into one of those.

This is the 9 sec Colt I mentioned previously.

When the guy originally did the swap the engine was mostly stock and the car was still fully intact (i.e. no tube front end, lexan windows, etc...). I don't know what his fastest time was with that setup, but he was doing at least 12.xx

I'm jealous of you man, I'd really like to see Adam's car in person sometime. :dsm:

Chris

^^^Oh my god.

There are some great posts on here, keep it up. I just have one question. Would the 4g63 (from a 90+ dsm) fit into the engine bay of the 97-01 Mirage? I want to get a salvaged mirage (with no engine=cheap) and find a 1g fwd dsm and do the swap myself. I've seen it done on these posts above to the earlier generations of mirages, but I'm really attracted to the style of the 97+ models (just don't feel like paying for an evo engine). By the way, this Adam guy has got one hell of a car. That's prob. the nicest 2dr. I've ever seen.

DiamondStarCar said:
^^^Oh my god.

There are some great posts on here, keep it up. I just have one question. Would the 4g63 (from a 90+ dsm) fit into the engine bay of the 97-01 Mirage? I want to get a salvaged mirage (with no engine=cheap) and find a 1g fwd dsm and do the swap myself. I've seen it done on these posts above to the earlier generations of mirages, but I'm really attracted to the style of the 97+ models (just don't feel like paying for an evo engine). By the way, this Adam guy has got one hell of a car. That's prob. the nicest 2dr. I've ever seen.
Unfortunately the 5G Mirage engine sits 180 degrees opposite of the DSM 4G63. It would be like swapping a 4G63 into a 2GNT. The Evo IV-VIII motors work well for this swap, even though they're a bit more difficult to get a hold of.

Chris

Yeah, that's what I thought. Bummer. Oh well, I'll start looking for an even cheaper 4g mirage then. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back