1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G 95 GSX NO START

Posted by 95GSXOG, Oct 26, 2020

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 95GSXOG

95GSXOG Probationary Member

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    Hello everyone.

I’ve been dealing with a no start issue on a GSX I purchased a little over a year ago. Back story is the car had sat for four years. Guy said it was leaking antifreeze but he wasn’t much of a mechanic so I took it off his hands.

Take it to my place, drain the fuel and put new in. Starts up bad has a bad miss, and the head gasket was leaking. So I tear the head off, turns out two exhaust valves were bent as well. For the age I decide to buy GSC Titanium Valves and put them in, lap them, etc. Put the head back on all together and fires up for the first time. Runs for three minutes like a champ and starts to hiccup like it’s running out of gas so I shut it off, put new gas in. Try again. No start.

Check fuel pump ends up being the plug burnt on one end. Replaced the plug and put a new fuel pump in and started but backfired. Checked timing multiple times it’s okay. Replaced fuel filter and injectors. Now car just acts like it wants to start but doesn’t. Checked compression, it’s equal all the way across. Have fuel to the rail, have checked timing multiple times and it’s on point.

What to check next?? I feel like it’s a sensor or something, I have a CEL but it’s for the rear o2 sensor and it ran great in the beginning without it. Have open down pipe and aftermarket exhaust manifold that is it.

Open to any suggestions I want to get this car back on the road like it deserves. Refreshed the whole suspension and everything and it’s sat on jack stands the whole time I’ve owned it.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2020

104  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  2. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Hickory-NC-2Ggsx likes this.
  3. 95GSXOG

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    I’ve read that thread thoroughly, with no luck. I have spark, fuel and compression. And my timing is correct. Hence why I’m here asking for help.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2020

104  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  4. iugrad92turbo

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Fuel at the rail but are the injectors firing pull them off, get test light and see if you have any voltage to them. Spark at the plugs? Is your coolant temp sensor bad?

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  5. 95GSXOG

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    Have spark at the plugs, I believe the fuel injectors have voltage but I’ll double check that. No idea if coolant sensor is bad, I was reading about testing it in hot water so I’m probably headed to that point.

104  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  6. EShield

EShield Supporting Member

Joined Jan 14, 2020
    West Warwick, Rhode Island
    What is your fuel pressure? Having fuel at the rail doesn't mean the system is holding good pressure.

Street Build 246  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. iugrad92turbo

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    A way to check cels would show a cts sensor failure.

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Dr-Evil

Dr-Evil Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2019
    Brookston, Indiana
    Could potentially be a faulty fuel pressure regulator or coolant temp sensor

153  0

1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 557  1

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. 95GSXOG

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    I have voltage to every injector, with the key on and when turning the motor over. I don’t have a code for the temp sensor, possibility it’s bad without throwing a code?

104  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  10. 95GSXOG

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    Other signs of a fpr being bad other than fuel running out the vacuum line? Next on the list is checking fuel pressure. Going to run to the mechanic shop and borrow the tool to test it.

104  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You need to check for injector pulse asap, borrow a noid light set from your local parts store or you can use a test light if you can have someone crank it while your under the hood, are your spark plug wires in the right order? are your spark plugs new?

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Hickory-NC-2Ggsx likes this.
  12. 95GSXOG

Joined Oct 26, 2020
    Augusta, Kansas
    Plugs are new, plug wires are in the right order. Tested every injector plug and each jumped from 2 ohms to 4 when cranking engine over. Replaced power transistor a while back, don’t believe my old one was bad since no change.

104  1

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  13. EShield

EShield Supporting Member

Joined Jan 14, 2020
    West Warwick, Rhode Island
    You need to check fuel pressure.

Street Build 246  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You cant ohm check the injector or harness when cranking it over, you will not only ruin your meter but it tells you zero about anything, you need a noid light set or a 12v test light to do it right, you could even have clogged injectors or fuel filter from junk stirred up in the tank.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. Jr243020

Jr243020 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 27, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    Have you checked the wiring at the back of the coil pack. Make sure they are in the right order.