The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

92 Talon TSIAWD - CodeName VADER

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got to hooking up ECM Link to the car yesterday. This was my view into the world of tuning. Little did I know, there's a launch RPM limit feature that I was not taking advantage of during my test and tune attempts. I'm guessing that will help dramatically lower my times.

Another issue I ran into on the way home form the track was my speedometer cable broke. Looks like it got binded, and just ripped apart. I can't tell if it also dislodged a vacuum line back there in the process. Now, once my turbo spools up and the boost gets to a certain point, I am getting the effects of a boost leak with the stuttering. Unfortunately, I'm playing with the launch rev limits, and don't know for sure that its a messed up vacuum line or if its something to do with the rev limits I'm toying with. Will have to get out on the highway and do some testing later this week.

Here's an image of my cable:
IMG_5938.JPG
The speedometer gear housing is also broken, not sure if it was ripped out and broke or was broken prior to the cable breaking. The cable is pretty solid, so I'm assuming it was ripped out.

Try the "anti-lag". It is normally 5250 rpm's if I remember right. It advances timing and increases fuel for turbo spool up at the line. Once set, you can MASH the gas and at 5250 it will start stuttering and the boost will start to rise from a dead stop. It's spooky at first but lets you leave under boost. Might get ya in the 11.99's, maybe better. More seat time is ALWAYS a good thing. Good luck, I hope to get one of mine to the track before the season is over.

I did already have the antilag configured. My issue ended up being related to that, coincidently. Since my speedometer cable was broken, the computer was reading my speed as 0 mph, which caused the antilag to kick in all the time, and limit me from ever getting above the set limit. Just waiting on the speedo gear to come in the mail, and we should be all back to normal.

Threw a rod at the track back in November :( No idea what caused it. Guessing either over-boost, or ran too lean. I went out in a blaze of glory at the 1/4 finish line. Felt like the fastest run I had ever had, so I'm guessing my novice tuning adjustments that day were the cause.

IMG_2262.jpeg

Weather is starting to get nice here in Maryland, so I've started the planning for getting things fixed.

I'm about 2 hours away from getting the engine pulled out to further investigate the internal damage, but I'm just going to assume that the entire short block is toast.

IMG_2257.jpeg

Once I do a full inspection, I'll compile a more detailed description of the damage.

WTB 4G63T 6 bolt short block!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back