The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

7 bolt 2.4 build suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmxfelon420

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 6, 2005
Napoleon, Ohio
Hey all, after losing the first engine in my car due to a stub shaft falling into the bottom end, and the 1g 7 bolt i bought having no #3 crank bearing, I decided to build up my 2.4 we pulled out of a galant at the u pull. Here's what i have sitting around for parts so far:

7 bolt long block out of a 2ga talon that was involved in a fire
7 bolt 2gb long block that died of oil starvation
7 bolt 1g longblock, junk crank and bottom end
7 bolt 4g64 block and crank from a sohc galant, good shape.

The 2gb engine (the original one that came with the car) had JE pistons and Eagle rods. Two rods and a piston got ruined by the stub shaft incident. I bought three good 7 bolt Eagle rods and 2.4l std bore Wiseco pistons from a member here. These are the same rods i had so i was going to take one of the good ones to complete the set, buy a replacement piston, have the block honed and then i have a usable bottom end. I had a few questions that i havent really been able to find solid answers to.

1. Should I use ARP main bolts and the main bearing cap alignment dowels? Seems pretty cheap and i see that they're suggested but i wanted to make sure that this would apply to my block.
2. What bearings would be recommended?
3. Would my 7 bolt 1g head work without issue? I wanted to use it so that i'd be able to upgrade to the Magnus v3 intake manifold down the road. Also i thought that in stock form a 2g head may be a serious restriction.
4. What would be the best combination of parts out of what i have to use? The oil pump out of the 2gb engine is toast, but i planned on using the sensors and see if the intake cam can be saved to reuse the cam sensor. I didnt want to mess with wiring/adapters if i didnt have to. The engine involved in the fire had no serious issues before the fire, and if it werent for the fact that it had 160k on it i would have just cleaned it up and used it.

All of the upgrades and stuff listed in my profile are parts i actually have, so i have a pump, injectors, regulator, gm maf, intake, fmic, etc.

Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
1. Should I use ARP main bolts and the main bearing cap alignment dowels? Seems pretty cheap and i see that they're suggested but i wanted to make sure that this would apply to my block.

If you use ARP main studs, it's highly suggested that you get the mains line honed with the new hardware installed and torqued down.

2. What bearings would be recommended?

Quality street bearings such as King or Clevite P-Series.

3. Would my 7 bolt 1g head work without issue? I wanted to use it so that i'd be able to upgrade to the Magnus v3 intake manifold down the road. Also i thought that in stock form a 2g head may be a serious restriction.

Yes, the 1g head should work just fine. The 2g head has been shown to be superior in terms of intake velocity, whereas the 1g head is better for high volume. Which one is 'better' depends on the build, but either way I don't think you can go wrong. If the 1g head suits your plans better, then by all means.

4. What would be the best combination of parts out of what i have to use? The oil pump out of the 2gb engine is toast, but i planned on using the sensors and see if the intake cam can be saved to reuse the cam sensor. I didnt want to mess with wiring/adapters if i didnt have to.

The 4g63 oil pump won't work anyways. The alternator mount hole is different between the 4g63 and 4g64.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back