The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

6 bolt swap-transmission ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2012
Gilbert, South_Carolina
I have a 6 bolt engine and a W5m332npzs transmission. I ran the numbers and it turns out to be a trans from a 90 GSX? That wouldn't work with my 2g driveshaft or rearend would it. also, where are the numbers on the transfer case?

It isn't that simple. 2g transmission has mounts on it. The 1g transmission does not have provisions for front and rear mounts so it is not a bolt in. Gear ratio changes didn't happen until 1997 and you did not mention what year 2g you have. I"m assuming is isn't the 2g NT picture.

Just noticed you have 4 posts and only list a 2g NT in your profile. If a swap is your intention my opinion is do not try this. I will make no more mention of this. It's an argument that has been going on since 1995. The answer was the same back then also.

I have a 1996 gsx dudes, the 420a in the pic is my DD

Ok. The engine will work, the transmission won't. The transfercase *can* work but if it's a 1990 unit it's 22 spline. Best way is to verify what it is. The cars are so old the numbers may not be trusted anymore. Assume nothing.

Can anyone tell me if I need the 95-96 GSX transmission or the 97-99? Again, this is going in a 96 GSX. I counted 25 splines on the shaft that is bolted on the 6 bolt motor I have

You need a 95-96 and you need to count again. Transfercase is only available in 22 or 23 spline. You could use a 97-99 but you'd have to make some changes. 97-99 will physically fit but the final drive ratio is different.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back