The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Milo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 29, 2006
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Ive got a 92 eclipse w/ a 6-bolt motor that is in pretty good shape but the body of the car needs a good bit of work, my question is how hard is it to swap a 6-bolt motor and trans from a 1g awd chassis into a 2g awd chassis (which I am currently trying to find so if anyone has a good AWD 2g chassis for sale pm me). Is it something fairly simply I can do on my own or what? Also while the motor is out I want to do a few things to the motor while its out of the car and I was looking for suggestions of a good quick spooling turbo setup, Im not worried about making the car a full race setup or anything like that I just want a good bit of power that will be good for street use

thanks.

The 6 bolt is a pretty simple swap, but you will need a 2g tranny for the mounting points.
Mike

Like previously stated, you will need a 2g tranny, transfercase, driveshaft and everything in the rear. If you have ever pulled a motor before, the swap wont be hard. There is some wiring needed, take a look at this http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227823
It should give you a idea of what your getting yourself into.
As far as the turbo upgrade goes, if you want a fun streetable setup, I would go with a mitsu evoIII turbo, exhaust manifold and 02 housing. It just depends on what kind of power you are trying to make. You will hear tons of different responses on what turbo setup to run depending on how much power you want to make.
Here is another link on the swap.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2g6boltmotorinstall.htm

Would having a 2g AWD chassis make it easier or would it be about the same if I used a FWD model and used the parts from my 1g AWD?? Ive been doing alot of research trying to get a good idea of how to go about doing the swap but wanted to hear some first hand experience from people.

As far as I know, if your starting with a bare 2g chassis, a fwd with work fine. I'm pretty sure you cant use your 1g parts on the 2g, none of them. I suggest getting a 2g awd chassis, from what I know here is a list of what you will need. Most likely I will forget things.
-awd gas tank
-awd rear suspension
-awd catback exhaust
-awd rear brake setup (i don't think you need this, but i do think its different)
-awd tranny
-awd transfer case
-awd drive shaft
-awd rear gears
-awd rear axles
There may be more than this, anyone feel free to correct me or add more parts.

He's not talking about doing a fwd to awd swap on a 2g. He wants to put a 1g engine and tranny in a 2g. You HAVE to have a 2g tranny, no getting around it because the motor mounts on a 2g are on the tranny, otherwise you have no way to hold the engine in the car. The engine will swap over no problem with a few little mods.

Thanks for all the links, I think I found a pretty good one at mangusmotorsports, but there is a long story as to why I need to do the swap other than the body because I would love to stay with AWD, Ive been checking DSMtrader all day trying to figured up an estimate on the total cost of everything i'll need. Spoolin98, I was thinking the same thing on the evo III turbo, Ive heard nothing but good things about that setup and seems like that will be exactly what I need.

He's not talking about doing a fwd to awd swap on a 2g. He wants to put a 1g engine and tranny in a 2g. You HAVE to have a 2g tranny, no getting around it because the motor mounts on a 2g are on the tranny, otherwise you have no way to hold the engine in the car. The engine will swap over no problem with a few little mods.

I understand that, but if you pay attention to what he was saying, he was planning on getting an AWD of FWD SHELL. A shell does not have any of those parts in it, hence the term "shell". Which means if he was going to get an AWD shell, he would need the motor and all the parts I listed.

Thanks for all the links, I think I found a pretty good one at mangusmotorsports, but there is a long story as to why I need to do the swap other than the body because I would love to stay with AWD, Ive been checking DSMtrader all day trying to figured up an estimate on the total cost of everything i'll need. Spoolin98, I was thinking the same thing on the evo III turbo, Ive heard nothing but good things about that setup and seems like that will be exactly what I need.

The evoIII is a proven setup, you can make nice numbers with it as long as you have the supporting mods.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back