The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

5Th gear Synchro Rattle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiKeiyaZI

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2008
Goldsboro, North_Carolina
So I pulled into my carport today with my windows down and noticed I have a very light ticking noise coming from the right side of the engine. I immediately popped the hood and walked around to see where it was coming from. Standing over the engine, you can't hear it. Directly infront of the engine on the ground, you can't hear it. It doesn't fluctuate much with RPM, it isn't loud enough to be Rod Knock, and it's not at all in the head and gets no louder with the oil cap off (but I did get a droplet of oil in my eye...-shakes fist-)

Anywho, it's only noticeable on the passenger side of the car and especially in the wheel well. It's not 'loud', per say.. just loud enough to be heard. So I did a little searching and found this

YouTube - ‪5th gear synchro rattle DSM trans‬‏

Considering this is a 1G Trans, Stage 2 Shep... could this be the noise? It sounds basically just like it... and if so is it possible for it to damage anything or signify that something is about to give out? Just looking for a little confirmation.

Update : Actually - I let my nervousness get to me. I had my next door neighbors daughter (hee hee) get down beside the car and listen while I shifted to 5th, shifted out, and determined it's my TOB.

Going to leave this here in case anyone else encounters this issue and hopefully the video is helpful.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back