The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

4G64 valve cover on 4G63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
So I just bought a 96 Eclipse GSX and noticed that it has a 4G64 valve cover. I just wanted to make sure that this is fine. It seemed that it is leaking but appears to just be a gasket issue. I'm in the process of doing the valve cover gasket right now but just wanted to make sure. I noticed that the PCV had a 90 degree on it. Anyways Im hoping this would cause my oil temp to go down. I drove it home and it was up 90 percent just sitting on the last line before the top.

*I am inbetween paychecks so all general maintenance will be put off until next Tuesday. Im not driving it until then either. *

Thanks,
Mike

It's impossible to have a 4g64 valve cover on a DOHC head. The spark plug tubes don't line up, the valve cover is too narrow, and there is only one spot for a cam gear. Unless your talking about a DOHC 4g64 valve cover, in which it is exactly the same as the 4g63 valve cover. Please post pictures.

Also, there is no stock oil temperature gauge. It's an oil pressure gauge.

@WES_393: Thanks for the information and I was thinking oil pressure not temperature but for some reason I didnt type it right (Im blaming working 3rd right now) Anyways Ill post up a picture

@WRXkiller92 Thanks, I didnt know they had a 90 degree angle. I am unfamiliar with the 4G63 since I had an ESi.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't think there's anyway to differentiate it from a 4G64 dual cam and 4G63 valve cover, but that looks exactly like my valve cover that I pulled off a 1G.

Thanks, I am new to having a GSX and just wanted to make sure that this was normal. I just got it last week and it seems the previous owner (guy claimed he was selling it for brother who just bought a new car) didnt take care of it. The engine bay is nasty *Has KWAI Garage sticker on it (read mixed reviews from IL shop)* Also made mention that it was in an accident and he was unsure if his brother had the motor rebuilt or another dropped in {ofcourse no receipt of it} So I dont trust anything. Safe to say it needs a lot of work.

Anyways here a picture of my engine bay, Any advice on how to clean it up and move forward?

does it run well? I'd say check the timing belt and compression test, maybe a leak down if you can, and then clean her up a bit.

The first thing I would do is get some Purple Power, mix it 50/50 with water, and spray down the engine bay. Then hose it off and let dry in the sun (make sure no water is in spark plug tubes, coil pack, etc.). It will not only make the bay look better, but will make it easier to see leaks and less gross to work on. I would also look into getting the rust on the passenger side strut tower repaired. It looks pretty gnarly and will only get worse which could risk the entire shell. Also every ounce of maintenance you can think of. Your probably right in assuming that the previous owner didn't care for the car.

Other than that, I would look into the cheaper mods such as emissions delete, non-cruise cable, battery relocation (if your electrically inclined), and some small wire tucking (such as flipping injectors). Maybe a good polish for the heat sheild and painting the valve cover. That should set you up pretty good for looks! If not, just washing that bay will make it look tons better than it does now.

Well.. I am unsure if I can answer that fully. I only drove it once and that was during the ride home. It seemed really hesitant and had no get up (I believe this is due to the throttle cable since it wasnt on the bracket correctly) I noticed that the oil pressure shot right up though. After I take care of the valve cover gasket, Ill take care of the compression and leakdown tests, as well as general maintenance and let you guys know what I find.

I still would like to know what the guy did with the air filter box and coolant reservoir cap!

Also small note, Im pretty sure that the cruise control box is gone. There is a wiring harness unplugged left of the brake and gas pedal and Im assuming thats what it is. If not what is it? I found what appears to be a smaller fuse box cover off and in the glove box.

Reservoir cap , KN air filter new oil cap , valve cover gasket and then 2 bottles of degreaser , remove the mitsubishi plugs cover and cover the ignition and plug holes I didnt my first time and it wasnt fun >< the check after that compression test , boost leaks and other leaks , timing belt and leaks on those seals... It doesnt look pretty but in little time u can bring him back to life LOL

Oh and btw those are cruise control components thing behind the fuse box and side of the battery, you can remove those by getting a non cruise cable from a 2.4 spider.

Oh and btw those are cruise control components thing behind the fuse box and side of the battery, you can remove those by getting a non cruise cable from a 2.4 spider.

And why would you say that?

Cause it looks like mine, with the t line goes 90 degrees.I cut mine off and put a clamp on it.

The jdm galant one is red from the factory, at least mine was.But it's black now.

The reason that is a galant vr4 valve cover is because of the mitsu symbol on it before it says mitsubishi.

Well you are correct, Some have the symbol on it before the mits lettering.And some do not.

Mine does not have the symbol, but it does say mitsubishi,then on botton dohc 16valve.

Quick question, I'm sure this has been asked many of times but if everything checks out okay can I do the stage 1 power upgrade on a stock block or would I have to build it?

Yessir. That motor is quite powerful, you'd be surprised what you can throw at it. I personally am running a stock rebuild 6 bolt and planning for an easy 400whp which it should handle all day if upgraded correctly.

Just go through all the maitenance. I'd definitely do the timing belt, waterpump, change all the fluids, boost leak test, compression/leak down test, and new spark plugs (NGK BR6ES are what you want). Make sure everythings tight and ready to go so you aren't doing more maintenance later on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back