The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

4g63t question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calcam22

Probationary Member
Oct 8, 2012
Pahokee, Florida
Ok so I have a 99 gst and to my knowledge and a lot I've read says the motor in my car is the 4g63t. I looked at the block badge on the front left lower section of the block and it read only 4g63. Now does this mean this is a 6 bolt swap or just a non turbo block?

Your engine code is simply 4g63. Some people like to add the "t" to the end just to avoid confusion with the NT 4g63 engines. There were no 2g NT 4g63's sold in America. The 1g did come with an NT 4g63, but it shares many engine parts with the 1g turbo 4g63. The biggest differences to worry about are between 6-bolt, 7-bolt 1g, and 7-bolt 2g.

To find out which one you just need to know where to look.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/396298-1gb-7bolt-vs-2g-7-bolt-engine.html

How to quickly tell a 6bolt and 7bolt engine apart

If your still confused about it, please post up pictures of the engine bay.

That's the 4G63t..Mitsubishi stamps the blocks as 4G63, although the first generation DSMs did have a non turbo 4G63 as an option (Eclipse GS, Talon Esi), every 4G63 that I know of was manufactured as turbocharged (except for the 1g dsm). I am unsure if Mitsubishi ever referred to the engine as 4G63t, or if that's aftermarket/enthusiast nomenclature. I do know that often times in the 97-99 service manual Mitsubishi refers to the engine(s) as simply 4G6, because the 4G63 and 4G64 share parts commonly. Anyway..you definitely have the 4G63 turbo engine.

+1 on what Wes said. The ONLY non turbo 4G63 engines were on either 1G DSM's or the 2g's sold overseas. The "t" is usually added to distinguish that a particular 4G63 is factory turbocharged. Whether Mitsubishi did that or not I'm not exactly sure of it.

+1 on what Wes said. The ONLY non turbo 4G63 engines were on either 1G DSM's or the 2g's sold overseas. The "t" is usually added to distinguish that a particular 4G63 is factory turbocharged. Whether Mitsubishi did that or not I'm not exactly sure of it.

::coughcoughGalantscoughcough::

;)

Edit for future reference: really confused about 4G63

Last edited:
It's kinda like the old toyota 22-re... I remember once seeing an 80's turbo 4runner w/ 22re-t and under the hood it still said 22re although the sticker was partially hidden behind the intake pipe...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back