The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g63 or 4g64 for high hp street car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr2krazee

Proven Member
Nov 30, 2012
spokane, Washington
K I know everybody and their flashlight holding apprentice has been over this but I cant make a decision and have not found a thread that aids in my decision. I am going to be building a motor soon for a 2g Awd I'm planning on getting from a friend. I have a 4g63 head and an HKS 16G ( will be going bigger after break in) plus I have a decent surplus of aftermarket goodies lying around. I have the chance to get a good 4g64 short block from another friend that I could stuff some forged internals into and put my head on for a good early spooling setup, thing is idk if I want to sacrifice the revs of a 63 block for the torque because I do plan making some big power later on. Currently I have the supporting mods for a safe 20psi on said build but plan on being able to throw on a big turbo and make a target goal of about 600-700 HP. Would a 4g64 be a good street setup in that power level? I'll be honest the car will be raced daily and be under boost a lot of the time. Its hard for me to turn down a race, not trying to brag just being honest with the driving it will endure. I do plan on a bigger turbo possibly an hx40 so the displacement would be nice during off boost cruising but I Dont want to have a low revving engine that runs out of steam too early... Decisions decisions... Anybody who has had both that can shed some light?

Are you auto or 5speed? DaCowGod (ricky) had a similar set up to what your wanting. He made 585 awhp with a 2.4 and an hx40. He could't keep a 4 speed transmission in it to save his life. He had multiple transmissions, even a shep stage 4 with an experimental 4th or 5th gear. He decided to part the build out and go auto because the torque of the 2.4 is just too much for the dsm drive train. It makes a hell of a power band and was a blast to ride in. If your auto it will probably hold up with a good build. 5speed forget about it. The only thing I can think of is big hp low torque on your build to try and offset the death of the 5 speed trans. I know Jacks offeres the HD trans thats rated for the power your wanting but I haven't seen any testimonials or daily driver results.

Are you auto or 5speed? DaCowGod (ricky) had a similar set up to what your wanting. He made 585 awhp with a 2.4 and an hx40. He could't keep a 4 speed transmission in it to save his life. He had multiple transmissions, even a shep stage 4 with an experimental 4th or 5th gear. He decided to part the build out and go auto because the torque of the 2.4 is just too much for the dsm drive train. It makes a hell of a power band and was a blast to ride in. If your auto it will probably hold up with a good build. 5speed forget about it. The only thing I can think of is big hp low torque on your build to try and offset the death of the 5 speed trans. I know Jacks offeres the HD trans thats rated for the power your wanting but I haven't seen any testimonials or daily driver results.

Yes I'll be five speed... I had an hx40 on my talon last year it spooled around 4500 so I didn't experience torque much LOL. I won't be making that much power for a while even on the hx40 those are just future plans I'll only be pushing around 15-20 pounds on the holset, so I would have some time to experiment with drivetrains. Crazy that extra 20% of displacement makes THAT much more torque... Maybe I'll just keep building my trans am for huge power and keep the dsm a nice 350whp street beast that's got nice cruising torque and good reliability. Still in the planning stage, nothing is set in stone however I DO love power under the curve for daily driving. Dont get me wrong its also fun to rev to the moon, LOL just keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back