The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Timing Belt Stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyline-Tweak

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2012
Kunkletown, Pennsylvania
I was driving down the highway with my brother the other day when my car shut itself down on me. I pulled off the highway to the shoulder only to see that the timing belt tensioner bolt backed itself out and ground itself down and caused my belt to get stuck behind a pulley. We redid the timing and now the car won't start. It does turn over though. I know the timing is correct and it's definitely getting spark. I smell gasoline after trying to start it though. Could the valves be bent? How would I check without pulling off the head? Any help is appreciated.

We pulled the plugs and head each one to the valve cover and seen spark for each one. We redid the timing twice. It ran the first time we redid it but it wouldn't idle anything under 2000 rpms. Other wise it would shut itself off and drop to zero, so we redid it a 2nd time. It does rotate freely by hand. I rotated it with a wrench when we redid it the second time on the crank bolt to make sure the timing lined up.[DOUBLEPOST=1411149233][/DOUBLEPOST]It also shook very violently went we redid it the first time. Both the engine and the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back