1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420a oil pan leaking

Posted by 95'RS-T, Mar 31, 2009

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    ok it seems as if my oil pan is leaking from the oil return line i welded a steel bushing in it and put water in it to see if it would leak before i put it back on and it didn't but now when in WOT the exhaust blows out a lot of blue smoke and when i get home and look under the car there's oil dripping off the bottom of the pan i thought it was the return line so I sealed the threads with Teflon tape and it still looks like its leaking from that spot so any input or advice would be great

376  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  2. Redwidow

Redwidow Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2008
    Coldwater, Michigan
    If at WOT its blowing blue smoke that doesnt sound like your return line is leaking. it sounds like your turbo is going bad. Check for shaft play, and also clean everything off with some brake cleaner and then see where the oil is coming from. Good luck.
    -Andy

646  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    thanks man i checked there's is very little shaft play not even a 1/4 of a centimeter but when i took off the down pipe there appeared to be some kind of black tar looking stuff stuck on the exhaust side i have no idea what it is

376  0

· 2G DSM
  4. Redwidow

Redwidow Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2008
    Coldwater, Michigan
    Is the "black tar" just from it running rich? Is it dry and black? I would thinks its the turbo seals.. Any luck on the leak.

646  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    no luck on the leak but yeah it is dry and black but i only get the blue smoke when i hit boost if i drive normal with out punching the gas it dont blow blue smoke

376  0

· 2G DSM
  6. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    do you think im burning oil because my oil return line is a -6an and its not draining fast enough? well i got a -8an from jegs im just waiting for it to get here then im going to plug my oil return line and drill a hole a little higher up hopefully it should drain faster.

376  0

· 2G DSM
  7. Redwidow

Redwidow Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2008
    Coldwater, Michigan
    That might help. as far as the "tar" thats just a rich gas mixture no need to worry there, thats not causing the blue smoke. Try to return line and see what that does for you.

646  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    thanks man i will it should be here tomorrow sometime hopefully in the morning so i can get to work :hellyeah:

376  0

· 2G DSM
  9. Redwidow

Redwidow Proven Member

Joined Aug 11, 2008
    Coldwater, Michigan
    ok cool good luck just let me know if you need any more help.

646  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM