The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

400+hp 16g project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMer541

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 27, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
Over the years of slowly building this car up, it's finally getting close to were I want it. My goal was to make as much power as I can on pump gas and a 16g turbo. I have not yet got it on a dyno to know for sure what its making for power, last time I went to the 1/4 mile track I had a bad day.... starter went out and my punishment intercooler was getting heat soaked, and I ended with a disapointing 12.7@110... I know this car has 11's in it, just need to get a few bugs worked out.... I since switched to speed density which made a great improvment in power and consistency, also got a bigger ETS 3.5" pro race intercooler, also helped intake temps dramatically.... hopefully by next track season ( spring of 2012 ) this car will be done and making well over 400whp on pump gas and running 11's on a 16g turbo.... then after that goal is hit, it will be time to up the bar with a 35r turbo or something along that line..... stay tuned.:D

Block- 2.0L 4G63T

-stock polished crank
-.02 overbore
-8:1 Wossner Pistons
-Eagle rods
-Clevite 77 bearings
-ARP head studs / rod bolts
-balance rotating assembly
-Balance shafts eliminated ( FFWD kit )

Cylinder Head- Jackson Auto Machine stage2

-CC ported & polished, and nifed
-Jam dual springs & ti retainers
-bronze guides
-lowboy stem seals
- +1mm ss valves
-HKS 272 cams
-OBX adjustable gears
-Gates timing belt
-Mitsu MLS head gasket

Turbo/Intake/Exhaust setup

-MHI Evo III 16g w/ported inlet
-ETS 3.5" pro race intercooler
-FP exh. manifold
-2.5" ebay SS o2 housing
-3" DP & exhaust w/ magnaflow muffler
-Tial QR BOV
-3" intake pipe w/ K&N filter

Fuel System ( 92oct pump )

-Wally 255 w/ STM re-wired
-PTE 880cc injectors
-Fuel Lab AFPR
- -6an feed & Fuel Lab filter

Engine managment

-ECMLink V3
-Speed density
-AEM Analog wideband
-AEM true-boost
-Omni 4-bar MAP sensor
-GM IAT sensor

Drivetrain

-stock t-case, and 4-bolt rear
-Shep stage 3 trans w/ TRE 4spider center diff.
-XTD stage 4 clutch ( 2,300pp, solid 6-puck disk )
-Fidanza aluminum flywheel
-steal braided clutch line
-solid shifter bushing
-Torque sloution front motor mount & prothane inserts on other mounts

Suspension/Brakes

-3000GT SL front bakes (dual piston calipers)
-Steal braided brake lines F&R
-stock struts/springs
-17" eagle alloy wheels
-Champiro HPZ 235/45 tires

jrohner;bt16046 said:
Why only 8:1 compression?

Thats a good question, this was my first build when I started on it about 3 years ago and originally I was just gonna rebuild the motor and keep it as close to stock as possible but with a little strength.... as we all know, build plans change and we end up wanting more, LOL....on my next build I would like to go 8.8:1 compression.... also I figured I would be able to get away with more boost on pump gas with a low compression piston...

I don't plan on staying on a 16g, its just my goal for now to get as much power out of it as I can, it was purly a budget turbo but it has been a fun street turbo so I chose to stick with it for a little while till I have all the supporting mods to run a 60 lb/ min + turbo..... by next year I will be strapping on a much larger turbo.

907dsm;bt16116 said:
What a good looking ride man, who makes that exhaust?? I love the look of it. Do you have any video's of it in action?

Alex

thanx , Its a magnaflow muffler with custom piping to a ebay 3" downpipe... I dont have any vids yet, but I did buy a video camera a few weeks ago, so hopefully soon...:D I'll post up another rear shot so you can see the exhaust a little better.

DSMer541;bt16119 said:
thanx , Its a magnaflow muffler with custom piping to a ebay 3" downpipe... I dont have any vids yet, but I did buy a video camera a few weeks ago, so hopefully soon...:D I'll post up another rear shot so you can see the exhaust a little better.
Your welcome, and that would be awesome when ever you get the time. :thumb:

Alex

WOW good looking project, hopefully you hit your goals... looks like you have the hardware to get the job done

thanx for the compliments guys :D

Pretty sure i'm gonna get the car on the Dyno within the next couple weeks, I'll let you all know what it makes, and i'll be sure to take video......dont know how accurate ECMLink's HP/TQ estimate is but -fwiw- right now it's estimating about 440 tq@ 5k rpm and 433 HP @ 6.3k rpm, boost spiking to 32psi falling to 25 by 7k....( 3,000 lbs & .20 drivetrain loss ) ... I dont think I'm actually making that much power but I guess we will see how close that is on the dyno soon...

So if you can make 400+ on a 2.0 with 8.0:1 compression on a 16g, anyone with a 2.3 stroker and 9.0 compression ratio should make more than 400whp exp on a bigger turbo like a 20g or fp green right? My question is has anyone made 400 whp on a true 16g? If so how many people have done it less than a handfull?

a 2.3-2.4 9.0:1 comp and a 20g or bigger will deffinetly get you over 400 with supporting mods.... and what do you mean by " true 16g" ? mine is a real MHI evoIII 16g, the only thing that has been done is the step was ported/ shaved on the exhaust inlet... its actually not that hard to hit 400whp on a 16g, you just have to have all the supporting mods to max the turbo out to 42-44 lbs/min of airflow and a good tuner...

sorry for the delay, I was gonna hit the dyno this last weekend but I had to hunt down a problem which ended up being a bad ignition coil pack.... all is better now, so hopefully soon I will have some dyno numbers...

dsmdeliveryboy;bt16227 said:
I wouldn't rely much on links dyno, it told me I was making 390whp with my 14b and I was only making around 300.. This was at 28psi on pumpgas

thats impressive getting the 14b to hit 28 psi.... that thing must have spiked hard and fell fast... how much airflow were you seeing?

crusindregs;bt16321 said:
So if you can make 400+ on a 2.0 with 8.0:1 compression on a 16g, anyone with a 2.3 stroker and 9.0 compression ratio should make more than 400whp exp on a bigger turbo like a 20g or fp green right? My question is has anyone made 400 whp on a true 16g? If so how many people have done it less than a handfull?

Be done hundreds of times. Search tab on here works wonders

well... thought I would update here....never made it on the dyno or the track with the 1g, broke 4th gear for the second time....So I ended buying a 2G LOL, 97 GSX, which I swapped my built motor into and strapped on a TD05H 20G which will now be my dd, with a little tack time here and there till the 1g is done...

I now have new plans for the 1G, it is getting prepped to become a drag car! may be awhile before I make any progress on it but I will post back when I start taring into it.. but I will probably start a new thread for the drag build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back