The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

3g shifter knob on 1g automatic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeMiZiS

Supporting VIP
Jul 25, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Just tossing around ideas in my head and was thinking how could I make the ugly shifter in my 1G look better, but still retain an OEM look?
3G shift knobs in the automatic look pretty nice, but the button is on the side instead of on top.:hmm:
I can't seem to find a diagram on how it works exactly on the 3G.
Here is a diagram of a 2G automatic shifter assembly.
I'm wondering how hard it would be to adapt the knob from the 3G?
When you press the button on the side does it actually push a mechanism down like on the DSM? Or is it entirely different?
Not worried about the overdrive button, that can easily be relocated.
This is mainly for looks, as I already have a Road Surge Shift Box.
First picture is what the 3G auto shift knobs look like.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Does any one have a diagram of the 1G shifter assembly or the 3G?
If so that would be awesome.:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should only have to take out the screws holding in the shifter, and switch it for the other one, just place it on there and slightly screw it on loosely and just try and see it'll shift it. A lot of people switch them out and from what I've seen done online it is fairly easy.

How To: Change Automatic Shift Knob (W/ Pics) - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

It may be for a ford fusion but similar in concept.

And with the whole still retain a stock look it should work, or maybe just another smooth shifter with the gray paint on it.

Post pics of it when you do it, I would like to see :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back