The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 3G FWD Rear Suspension in a 2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95REGF150

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2012
Elk Grove, California
I wanted to make a post to confirm for you all that the COMPLETE 3G FWD rear suspension is a direct bolt on swap for a FWD 2G. I know I have seen many 2G guys running the 3G arms and sway bar and adapting the larger bar mounts to bolt onto the 2G subframe. However the subframe itself is a direct swap over to get the correct mounting for the larger sway bar.

I found this out because I have a friend with a V6 3G who was having a little too much fun in the rain and lost it, spun around and smacked a curb hard with the left rear wheel. Broke the trailing arm and pushed the lower control arm back into the subframe about 2 inches. I have a 1998 2G GST and I'm going AWD so we decided to see if the subframes were compatible.

They are almost identical. The 3G subframe is slightly beefier for the bigger sway bar mount. The 3G also has spherical bearings in the toe links instead of the bushings used in the 2G. For those of you who have not heard of this swap the 3G upper and lower control arms are also tubular and an upgrade compared to the stamped 2G arms. So there you have it if you can find a 3G donor for parts it is a cheap and easy bolt on upgrade for the rear suspension on your FWD 2G.

Here is a crappy picture of the 2 subframes. (3G on bottom)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will be performing this swap in the near future. i am going to use an eclipse GTS rear subframe, then upgrading the sway bar with an aftermarket 22mm sway bar (ST Suspension). I will add pictures and more information to this thread, thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back