1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

3800 rpm in 5th gear @ 60mph?

Posted by dave_nz, Sep 22, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. dave_nz

dave_nz Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2012
    Oamaru, New Zealand
    Hi there,
    Have just put my car back together. I blew the centre diff out of my last gearbox so I found a replacement that was out of a drag evo (we have evo 1-3 here in NZ) with a welded centre.

All is fine and everything works - however the revs seem way higher than what they should be.

I confirmed with the previous owner that the box was a 3.545 output when used with a evo 1-2 transfer case. (1.09)

Car has a 3.545 rear diff.

However check this out:

bkah.png
    You can see from the log where engine speed is up the top, that I've changed into 5th gear and sitting at 3800rpm. Speed is at the bottom, you can see I'm doing 104kmh which is approx 60mph.

How is this possible? I've never seen ratios like this. I've confirmed the speed is correct with gps on my phone. I would like to verify rpm but I can't see how they can be wrong - the car drives normally.

96  1

1995 Mitsubishi Chariot Resort Runner GT
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Drag Race Build 1K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    change to the 5th from your old unit unless it was destroyed.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    lglracer and Bud92gsx like this.