The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

3800 rpm in 5th gear @ 60mph?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_nz

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Oamaru, New_Zealand
Hi there,
Have just put my car back together. I blew the centre diff out of my last gearbox so I found a replacement that was out of a drag evo (we have evo 1-3 here in NZ) with a welded centre.

All is fine and everything works - however the revs seem way higher than what they should be.

I confirmed with the previous owner that the box was a 3.545 output when used with a evo 1-2 transfer case. (1.09)

Car has a 3.545 rear diff.

However check this out:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see from the log where engine speed is up the top, that I've changed into 5th gear and sitting at 3800rpm. Speed is at the bottom, you can see I'm doing 104kmh which is approx 60mph.

How is this possible? I've never seen ratios like this. I've confirmed the speed is correct with gps on my phone. I would like to verify rpm but I can't see how they can be wrong - the car drives normally.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back