The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

3.5 or 4in exhaust system

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcali247

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 30, 2002
huntsville, Alabama
i used the search feature and after about 30min of searching i gave up.

I want to know if anyone is running a 3 1/2 or 4in exhaust system. Also if running a system like this would hurt me in anyway if i only have a 60-1 or similar turbo. I want to run this size because my car is down and i gave my boy my 3in exhaust system and i have the means to buy 3 1/2 or 4in pipping for cheap with the flex section..and my boy can weld so i figured why not.

I don't think you NEED 3.5-4" by any means. People make excellent power with the standard 3" system. Honestly i don't think john shepard runs 4", i think he's at 3.5".

Just get 3" and be happy with it, I doubt you'd see any power gains with 3.5 if thats what you're going for.

Do you need 3.5 or 4". No. Theres plenty of 700+WHP cars running 3".
I also doubt youd notice anything over 3".

If you really want the best flow possible, just dump the exhaust out the front bumper.

alcali247 said:
i used the search feature and after about 30min of searching i gave up.

I want to know if anyone is running a 3 1/2 or 4in exhaust system. Also if running a system like this would hurt me in anyway if i only have a 60-1 or similar turbo. I want to run this size because my car is down and i gave my boy my 3in exhaust system and i have the means to buy 3 1/2 or 4in pipping for cheap with the flex section..and my boy can weld so i figured why not.

I know a guy that runs a 3.5", I havent heard it myself but others have said that it sounds sick. As previous replies said, there will be no power gains over a 3". Just "ricer" rights really.

3.5" is stupid loud. Like the wiseman said 3" is perfectly fine for what you need. Or unless you hate your neighborhood, then go for it!

I know someone that had a 4" exhaust and it sounded like a honda with a 55gal drum for an exhaust. Just stick with a tried and true 3" exhaust.When you reach the 700+hp mark, then ask this question.

my question is not if it would give me any gains or anything like that..i have been dealing with dsm for like 5 years now..so i'm not a fool. I know that 3in is proven. I had a full 3in i just gave it to my boy since my car was down and he needed it. My question was if it would hurt me or sound like shit like the last guy said his buddies sounded like.

anyway the only reason i was going to do it was because it would cost me the same to redo my 3in exhaust so i figured i'd go bigger and it would look nice out the back:cool: i do not expect it to increase my performance at all. I just want to make sure it will not hurt my performance or sound like shit.

Get a couple of resonators or it will sound like shit. I know, I have seen it. I can give you a few other peoples names that heard it also so you can ask them if you want. Probably no peformance gain or loss at your power level.

alcali247 said:
my question is not if it would give me any gains or anything like that..i have been dealing with dsm for like 5 years now..so i'm not a fool. I know that 3in is proven. I had a full 3in i just gave it to my boy since my car was down and he needed it. My question was if it would hurt me or sound like shit like the last guy said his buddies sounded like.

anyway the only reason i was going to do it was because it would cost me the same to redo my 3in exhaust so i figured i'd go bigger and it would look nice out the back:cool: i do not expect it to increase my performance at all. I just want to make sure it will not hurt my performance or sound like shit.

Well, my buddy had a 95 tsi down by Chula Vista. His was 3.5" turbo back all custom of a 60-1 turbo. No resonator or cat, jut a magnaflow muffler. That sh!t was soooo loud it made everyone in the neighborhood come out and look around for 5 minutes. ( from one 25mph pass).

It didn't sound all that bad like a N/A car would but, it was F@Cking loud!!! It was pretty bad @$$ to see though.:D

i have 3" straight pipes no cat , muffler, or resonators, it is really loud on wot , and ive gotten a ticket allready for it.Luckily i live in florida where there are no emmission checks

i have video of my car with this exhaust but they all have street racing in them =x

but i made mine myself, just took a stick of 3" exhaust tubing and started bending a welding away, cost me nothing because my dads buddy had the tubing laying around.

Ya I woulden't post it up on here then, You'd most likly get banned and bitched at... Even though there are hundereds of dsm's that are on this site that say no street racing, But yet are on video tape weather they know it or not, Street racing. It's funny because when I went down to the races about an hr from home, I seen alot of dsm's.. You see them in every big street racing movie there is. Oh well!

I have 2.5 all the way back, works fine for me. I don't see anyone ever needing more then 3.5" though. I say go for the 3.5

staticbrainwash said:
I don't think you NEED 3.5-4" by any means. People make excellent power with the standard 3" system. Honestly i don't think john shepard runs 4", i think he's at 3.5".

Just get 3" and be happy with it, I doubt you'd see any power gains with 3.5 if thats what you're going for.

Whoa dont even bring up shep" with our cars, LOL I hope to god hes not running a 3.5 do you know how large the exhaust side of that turbo is hes running. Its huge running a 3.5 would bottle neck it. He doesnt even have a exhaust its just dumped out the side bumper.

GT42R and Th88 supras NEED 4inch exhaust, just because there turbo flow that much for most street or avg setups its not needed.

If you look at big turbo honda guys, they are picking up dyno gains by switch to 4inch exhausts. But it is pretty much over kill. I would like to hear a 4inch on a DSM, makes for a good convo peice id say.

like i said the 3in. turboback is going to cost the same as the 3.5in so i'm thinking why not just try it. I already had a 3in turboback with no cat or resonators just a muffler and it sounded and worked perfectly. Again i just figure if the cost is equal why not try 3.5in.

If anyone has videos of 3.5in or 4in. racing or whatever send it to me if you can thanks.
[email protected]

I havent seen alot of DSMs with 3.5-4inch if anyone has clips post them up.

JOEY A said:
I havent seen alot of DSMs with 3.5-4inch if anyone has clips post them up.

You can hear the turbo through the exhaust on a 4 inch system. Its not as loud as running an open downpipe but you can hear the turbo at idle.

you sure that is sheps current set up?

Again, I say go with the 3.5" or 4" if you can make it work. Like Joey A said, it sure would make for a convo peice. You know that is what you wanna do... screw what others think, do it man

alcali247 said:
like i said the 3in. turboback is going to cost the same as the 3.5in so i'm thinking why not just try it. I already had a 3in turboback with no cat or resonators just a muffler and it sounded and worked perfectly. Again i just figure if the cost is equal why not try 3.5in.

If anyone has videos of 3.5in or 4in. racing or whatever send it to me if you can thanks.
[email protected]

So, do you plan to drive your car around San Diego like that often? ###, in case you don't know, the cops are really cracking down on that there. I just left san diego because of all the madness the cops are whipping up for everyone. To save yourself a future of headaches just go 3". Cops will defenetly notice that 3.5" and you will be carless for awhile.

i probably should of changed that in my profile but i've been living in orlando florida for like the last 3 or 4 years. And the cops dont give a f... about stuff like that and there is no emissions tests:thumb:

Oh, well go for it then. I am behind on this one man. Sounds like some fun. Do you plan on using a cat and resonator? That might be a good idea...

i did not plan on it.....if i have to use a resonator to make it sound decent than i probably will just make a 3in system again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back