The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

2nd G, Transmission fail safe mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankooklabbie

Probationary Member
6
0
Jun 13, 2009
Richmond, Virginia
I have a 2nd G, Eclipse with the 420 A motor and auto tranny. The thing is that I've replaced the tranny with a remanufactured one. I've gotten the TCM reflashed and fixed since it wouldn't get out of limp mode. Apparently there was a problem with one of the relays to the engine that blew out the TCM. After $700 at the dealer, my problem is still happening. While I am driving the tranny will go into "limp mode." That's great and good when it's at 35 mph but at 50-60 that's really annoying and dangerous. I've reset the computer several times, but it still happens after I stop the car and restart it the next day. DK what is wrong. I've got a warranty for the work done at the dealership. What do you think could be wrong? *note* I've read the forum on the auto tranny here and have done everything that I can to get this bugger to shift. It will shift after a little while but then it still does the same thing. Please any suggestions would be great!
 
Well if you paid 700 bucks to get it fixed go back.... and say hey you didnt fix it. Or the simple fix to try is the fuse. Look at the inside interior fuses and replace any that are bad, but look for the ELC4 one... i have the same problem, a bad TCU...
 
I had a 97 rs with the exact same problem, mine ended up needing a tcm so I sold it, but I recommend checking the input and output speed sensors on the front of the trans, chryslers speed sensors go out frequently.
 
I have an update. I think that the reflash and the new tranny is ok. DK if it is fully fixed or not. Apparently the A hole who had it before me didn't tell me that the cooling fan doesn't come on because of a coolant leak that fried the coolant temp sensor. I've replaced the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor. The fan fires up now. But I've still to replace the upper radiator hose and make sure that the tranny doesn't get too hot. I believe that the tranny is going to fault mode only because it is getting too hot. Now I have no idea as to why the AC fan isn't working too. Keep you guys informed on what is going on. REUPDATE. Drove it this morning and it's working fine. Later on this afternoon started it up and it went into fail safe mode again. The case on the tranny is hotter than hell. Same as before. DK what to do. Thought the cooling fan would do something to cool off the tranny. Any suggestions as to WTheck is going on.?
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top