The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g with fd rims what spacers are you using with what tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo addict

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
I have a set of fd rims and a 1997 tsi awd. I would like to know what size spacers and what size tires everyone is running. Also if longer wheel studs are necessary.
thanks guys

PS. I did search!

With 225/50/16s all around i dont need spacers. This is on a 99 Eclipse spyder GS. My car is lowered with H&R sports so I did have to roll the fenders just a tad. Other than that no spacers needed. I never noticed it until now but with these wheels you will ruin your plastic guard on the driverside in front of your wheel when you do some turns.

I also have a set of FD rims with 225/50 and i cant use them without spacer, they rub the control arm... this just goes to show you some tires are wider / narrower than others. In addition, 5mm spacers are the widest spacers someone can use on stock lug nuts FYI.

I also have a set of FD rims with 225/50 and i cant use them without spacer, they rub the control arm... this just goes to show you some tires are wider / narrower than others. In addition, 5mm spacers are the widest spacers someone can use on stock lug nuts FYI.

So what spacers are you running 5mm? and what brand tires?
thanks!

Anyone who has FD wheels on their 2g needs to put up pictures, promptly.
I'm betting a spacer will be required though unless you run 215s maybe.

But who knows, I just know I want a set.

I needed a spacer on them for my 1g and had to slightly grind the contrl arm some for the rears.
Of course on a 2g this would be entirely different.

I find 225/50 to be the best size tires for them handling wise.
Just my input.

The measuring rim width for a 225/50 is 7". By putting this tire on a FD rim the tire is strecthing. This allows the contact patch to be slightly larger (approx. .4") and making the sidewall stiffer. However, a 225/50 is rather small contact patch for a heavy DSM if you plan on some serious AutoX or RoadRace.

If the FD wheels are for Drag, Street, or light AutoX stick with a 225/50. The main reason is this is the most common size tire for a 16" wheel. Many tires including: Azenis RT615, Hoosier Drag Radials, NT-01, and Direzza Z1 come in this size and are extremely cheap compared to their 17" rim counterpart.

If you plan on AutoX get some Hub-Centric 5mm Wheel Spacers from H&R. If these rims are for street use and drag racing any 5mm spacer off Ebay will work.

Mine. I have really thin spacers, not sure what size they are tho since i bought the wheels with spacers from my buddy who had it on his 2g, just bolted them up. I got 225 sized tires. Stock suspension.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

bigger size http://members.aol.com/olmytdadon/splitter.jpeg

Good info DSMSpyder99, and definitely a great shot, olmytsi.
I don't suppose you have any pics, or can get some, of FD wheels on your friends 2g?

I have a feeling that your black car is doing wonders for those wheels and the meaty tires. I guess I'm just thinking a red or cayenne red pearl colored car wouldn't be as forgiving.

Love the look, but hows driveability? Did you notice a difference? Easier stop sign starts maybe?
I'm of the opinion that 2g AWD's are slightly under powered, or rather, theres just too much weight and drivetrain loss for the engine to be particularly effective when starting from a stop.

People think I'm trying to be cool, but really, my car is just heavy and can be difficult to coax into a smooth forward momentum. But maybe thats a personal problem.

No other pictures for you but there have been similar threads with fd wheels posted on red cars, just search. It rides smoother with smaller wheels and fatter tires. I had stock 98 tsi awd 17s with low pros and i used to get flats all the time from hittin potholes, even bent one but luckily a local guy with a 98 tsi awd was willing to sell me one.

I have been rocking them since 2005. They are so light and they are wide, 16x8. You can fit 245 sized tires on them if you want.

I thought about 245 but I think id need coilovers to run them, and it would probably cause too much buldge and cause more roll around corners.

Since my setup is street, im leaning more towards an autox like setup than drag.

I think these rims are great due to their lightness. It will really help, I even believe you will drop your times a decent amount at the track if you are coming from some heavier 17 in rims or something.
I can sort of break traction on these rims with a hard 1st gear pull NLTS'ing into 2nd gear or on a colder night with even just a straight 2nd gear pull I feel a tire slipping around 6k, and my tires are still good and Im not even making that much power. ( approx around 310-320awhp) I think its the light rims.

Not to mention when it comes to launching and cutting the lowest 60ft time you can you definitly have to make your rotating assembly light as possible.

Side note, becareful if you have the original 3rd gen Rx7 rims they are the lighest but are prone to cracking after fatigue or if you hit a curb with them. They arent very strong, but the redesigned version of these rims are tougher.

To add on to Black Bullet's post:

The early 1993 are prone to cracking and are not recommended for any type of racing. See my attachment to tell the difference between early and late 1993 RX7 wheels. I am lucky enough that my RX7 wheels are late 1993...got all four for $100 :p

A 245/45/16 measuring rim width is actually 8". This makes 245/45/16 ideal for 16x8. However, the the tire selection of 245/45 is very poor. Lastly, it would require running 8-10mm spacers, longer studs, and new lug nuts.

Attachments

• wheel_cracking.jpg
    wheel_cracking.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,216
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back