The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2g oil filter housing/water cooler delete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_USER_NAME

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2012
Sahuarita, Arizona
Simple question, can I take out the section between the oil filter and the housing itself and just loop the water lines that are connected to it? Im tired of the leaks from the water cooler getting loose ect.

Thanks.

You would need to cut down the stud the cooler uses to mount to the oil filter housing to a length that allows the oil filter to snug up and seal against the housing. But otherwise, yes, it is physically possible.

See:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/108696-oil-filter-housing.html#post891195 and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/102350-forward-facing-oil-filter-housing-merged-10-8-a.html#post151393150 (these go together)
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/448757-simply-way-gain-some-downpipe-clearance.html

Last edited:
Does the water cooler make that big of a difference though? I know it was designed as part of the cooling system so it helps to a point, but I really don't see it making a big difference.

You would need to cut down the stud the cooler uses to mount to the oil filter housing to a length that allows the oil filter to snug up and seal against the housing. But otherwise, yes, it is physically possible.

See:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/108696-oil-filter-housing.html#post891195
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/448757-simply-way-gain-some-downpipe-clearance.html

Thank you! I remember seeing that thread before but couldn't find it so I wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

I'm finishing up a build right now and I cut the long nipples coming off the OFH and welded them closed. Got a new water pipe from a 2.4l it doesn't have the extra nipples for the lines. I'll probably run some sort of oil cooler in the future to keep it cool and then feed the turbo from it as we'll because I done away with the coolant lines running to the turbo. Hope this gives you some ideas

My car is running exactly the way you described, except I just welded the nipples closed And left the ofh nipples open

I'm finishing up a build right now and I cut the long nipples coming off the OFH and welded them closed. Got a new water pipe from a 2.4l it doesn't have the extra nipples for the lines. I'll probably run some sort of oil cooler in the future to keep it cool and then feed the turbo from it as we'll because I done away with the coolant lines running to the turbo. Hope this gives you some ideas

My car is running exactly the way you described, except I just welded the nipples closed And left the ofh nipples open

That solution does not solve the issue the OP is hoping to fix.

The leak (oil, not coolant) comes from between the cooler and the oil filter housing itself. If the potential for that leak is to be eliminated, the cooling unit will need to be removed.

Last edited:

Have you noticed an increase in operating temperatures that would be hazardous to the engine? Are you using an oil cooler off of the oil filter housing?

This solves the aspect of not having the ofh water cooled, but I will be taking the center section out because it is unable to make a good seal on the ofh.

My question is: Can you delete water aspect of the oil filter housing on a daily driver. No matter if you welded the cooling lines shut, or removed the water cooler section.

I am just going to loop the water lines going to the cooler, then remove the water cooling portion and stick with that. Then eventually get an evo III oil filter housing with an oil cooler. The evo III housing and oil cooler seems to be a great functional mod in more then one way at a decent price.

From my understanding recently from a friend is that water cooling portion of the OFH isn’t for cooling. I was told it is to help with things getting up to temperature better not for cooling.

I’m running a holset hx35 and I have no need for coolant lines to the turbo because of the turbo only using oil line. I have blocked off a fair amount of the nipples on my setup, including coolant lines deleted from heater core and throttle body and never had any terrible issues. However I also want to delete the OFH coolant portion because it doesn’t seem to be all that important at the end of the day or if someone can provide me with information otherwise that it does lower oil temperature to a noticeable degree that you HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Only big issue was I kept lifting the head with 30+ psi and cracked my radiator. But when the system wasn’t broke I always rams fans at always on and never had any issues

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back