The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G - No Spark, No fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX_4_Life

Probationary Member
Apr 7, 2012
Wenatchee, Washington
First of all you guys are awesome. I don't know how much money I have saved coming to these forums and doing some research and fixing the problem myself.

Ok here it goes. Like the title says I have no spark no fuel. The car is a 97 GSX with about 140k on the body, and 60k on the engine. This is my 3rd eclipse, but first GSX. I picked it up from a guy and he said the car would run but was not drivable due to clutch disengagement. He said he just installed a new clutch, and thought maybe the slave cylinder, or master clutch was going out. So I towed it home, replace both and still nothing. So I tore it all apart and ended up being he put the clutch disc on backwards. I ended up just buying a brand new clutch to be on the safe side.

After all was said and done, put it all back together and no fuel. So I hardwired in the fuel pump to see if it was bad, and it kicked in immediately. Ended up being the Idle Control Sensor wiring sheared so I replaced it. After starting it the car idle seemed a little low but wasn't to noticeable. But every time I would start the car it would take an extra second or two to turn over then I was used to. Again, I didn't think much of it because the guy told me he replaced the starter. Besides those two things the car drove great for about 250 miles.

I was driving home from work in 5th gear and the car loses all power to the wheels. If I stepped on the gas I could watch both my RPMs, and Speedometer go up with no results to the wheels. I down shifted into 4th with no avail, then 3rd and everything caught again and drove fine for the next 25 miles home. About two days later I came to a four way stop after driving the car for maybe 10-15 minutes and it all of a sudden dies and would not start again. I pushed it off to the side, waited maybe 2 minutes and tried again and started right up. The next day when I was on my way to work it did the same thing. But this time I was going 75 up a hill and the car starts to stutter and lose power. It felt and sounded like the car ran out of gas.

Towed it home filled it up and have no spark no fuel. My first reaction is CPS I have a brand new spare one that I am in the process of replacing right now. I checked the voltage and Ohms to and from the sensor and everything is within proper range. So my question is what else could cause no spark no fuel. After taking off the original sensor nothing looked to be wrong with it, but I replaced it anyways. I know I know, I should have checked the voltage before tearing into the car and replacing sensor that are probably not bad. But it was a natural reaction to just assume CPS.

There is no CEL. I assuming that one of the previous owners who "upgraded" the car somehow disconnected the port to run tests because my reader searched for 5 minutes before I gave up, and I have no CEL light when I go to start the car like I am suppose to for the first couple seconds.

The mods on the car are as follows:
AEM standalone engine management system
AEM MAF
Wide band O2 sensor setup
Nothing else that I can think of that is electronic everything else is bigger turbo, fmic, BoV, intake etc etc.

Sorry for the book, just figured I would throw everything I know out there for the best results.

So far I have replaced both the CAS, and the CPS with no avail. I still have no spark no fuel. I think I might break down and actually have to take it in.

Well, spark needs CAS, CPS, power transistor, coil, plugs, wiring, and ECU all to be working. Fuel needs CAS, wiring, and ECU.

I'd suggest pulling the ECU and look inside. ECU leaking capacitors are a notorious problem with these cars and could easily be your problem. They often then will smell like rotten eggs/seafood. Also check the ECU board for burned foil traces/components or electrolyte all over certain areas from leaking capacitors.

I agree with Rally that the ecu is definitely worth taking a look at. My galant's caps had leaked in the stock ecu when i was originally getting the thing up and running after i built the motor, caused all kinds of weirdness. sometimes it would run, sometimes it wouldnt. Was almost always really hard to start, would hold an idle when the car first started but then after i ran it a few times it wouldn't even do that any more, and of course driveability was terrible.

Long story made short, for the few mins it takes to pull the ecu and pop the screws off the case to have a look, it's worth it to check because it doesnt cost anything, although as I understand from talking to Tom at ecmlink, not such a common thing in the 2g's. But i'm sure it has happened before.

Wait, i see now that you posted AEM standalone as your management system... How does that wire into the car on this application? Does it completely get rid of the ecu or just run over the top of it?

I know you said you've replaced the CAS, but to see if thing is sending a signal all the way through you can always pull it off and with the key in the on position spin it over by hand and see if the injectors are clicking. If they are then you know right away that the cas is supplying a signal.

This could be a hard diagnosis because you're not running the stock ecu as your primary controller so I suspect there isnt really very much intel out there on how the AEM reacts to problems like floating grounds or if they have a tendency to take a crap on you, etc. Are you able to get the car to run at all now?

Yeah I took his advice and pulled it. Checked it out and from what I could tell nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. No smell, no leaks, no burns.

The Standalone takes place of the stock ECU. Why I originally thought sensors was because the car was running fine for the most part until it decided to die going up a hill on the freeway.

I have not been able to get the car running yet. I still have no fuel pressure and am waiting for my roommate to get off to check and see if I have spark.

This is probably not your issue but after I put my engine back in I had no spark or fuel. Turned out that I had put the a/c plug on the cas connector and the cas onto the a/c plug LOL. They look alike and fit into each other. Maybe this could be your issue maybe not.

After months of going over the entire engine it came down to the AEM EMS. Sent it in to AEM and the engine is now running beautifully. Thanks all for the help. Now off to the drive-train section for another problem I came across.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back