The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2g gsx subframe removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelv

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2006
Columbus, Georgia
I need someone's help with taking down the rear sub-frame on a 97 GSX in order to pull the gas tank.

Everything I've found doesn't really have any step by step procedures. If anyone who's done this can help, I would really appreciate it.

*jack the car up, secure with stands
* remove cat back exhaust
* 4 drive shaft bolts
* place floor jack under the rear diff
* 4 total shock bolts (top of shock, strut tower inside hatch)
* 8 total upper control arm bolts
* 2 lateral control arms
* 4 total subframe bolts

Subframe will then come down. Now, remember the E brake cables will still be connected. Feel free to remove them whenever.

Take a look at the AWD swap Vfaq in the drivetrain tab Visual Frequently Answered Questions - Home Page

It might be easier to disconnect the e-brake cables from inside the car and just unbolt the clamps from the chassis. Mine where a bear to disconnect at the wheel. Though mine had seen many Wisconsin winters, so they were really corroded in place. Since your from Georgia, you might not have that issue.

It might be easier to disconnect the e-brake cables from inside the car and just unbolt the clamps from the chassis.
I agree with this.

Also, one of the reasons you don't see a lot of write-ups on this procedure is that there are a bunch of different versions of it. For example, you could remove everything attached to the subframe first, then drop the subframe or just disconnect only what is needed and drop the whole thing with everything still attached. Most people find dropping the whole works easier.

By the way, I agree it's a pain in the butt to have to do this to get at the fuel tank. The reason is Mitsu designed the truck area on 2g's to be nice and deep and not like the 1g's that have about 1/3 the space.

So I can access the e brake cables inside the car and that would allow access to the straps to get the gas tank out so I don't have to mess with the sub frame? Is that what you're talking about?

So I can access the e brake cables inside the car and that would allow access to the straps to get the gas tank out so I don't have to mess with the sub frame? Is that what you're talking about?

Lowering the subframe means you have to disconnect the e-brake cables, since they are attached to the rear knuckles. Removing them from the inside of the car is easier as there is no corrosion holding them in place. You still need to lower the subframe. There is no way around that.

Why do you have to remove the tank anyway?

I ruptured one of the return lines on the top of the tank drilling a hole for a ground for a rear battery relocation.

There is no fuel pressure at the rail and this is the only conclusion I can come to.

I'm over the stupidity of this mistake. Just need to get it done.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back