The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G GSX DD\Weekend racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinister96

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 5, 2012
Saint Clair Sho, Michigan
1996 gsx auto.
Well figured its time to start one of these journals as in the next few weeks ill be starting to build up my parts.
I bought this car with approx. 182k miles. im probably the 5th or 6th owner at least. When i got it, it had a aluminum arizona ice tea can as a radiator overflow bottle, an extremely dirty engine, bad end clutch and a sticky valve body. I traded it for a 1996 mazda mx6 5 speed that i had completely replaced all the suspension components along the front con arms, exhaust, headers...etc.
First things i did to the car were ( in no particular order)
TL 175-hp shift kit
Zeitronics wideband
Megan downpipe and cat back
Maf-t
gm maf
FMIC w\ hks bov
evo 3 exhaust mani
MHI s16g
denso 550's
wally 255
ebay AFPR
2gb front bumper
shaved rear spoiler
I shortly got tired of trying to tune with maf-t and traded my 99 h8 ecu for a 1g throttle body and a safc
eibach sport line springs
ebay struts
the trans was replaced prior to me getting the car and the guy left out one the the torque converter bolts which lead to one other backing out 2 1\2 turns destroying my pump gear, so out came the trans and picked up a used pump and rebuilt it before putting it in.
rear drivers bearing had to be replaced which lead to me messing up the threads and having to go down to a lower sized nut
along with the mechanic not putting in all 4 bolts in the t-converter he also stripped out one the the half shaft bracket bolts leading to my axle falling out a couple times requiring me to replace the axle seal once and having to hae the car towed a couple times.
replaced passengers front axle
both tie rod ends
drivers side inner tie rod
Voodoo MBC
valve cover gasket
installed the 1g TB including a full tear down and rebuild
evap system delete
FIAV bypass
EGR delete
have replaced 2 drivers handles
torque converter went so picked up a 3400 stall ProTorque converter and installed that( ive learned from ProTorque that when the converter was build they could only do 400-600 over stock stall)
i have the wire cut at the ecu that allows the timing drop during shifts
i drove for a while with full line pressure but the downshifts comign to a stop were brutal
after all this my end clutch went again (purely user error as i was using my o\d while playing with cars on the street, didnt think i was making enough power to harm it) well being that this is my DD as i was coming home from work i got on the freeway and ended up spinning my #2 rod bearing ,which leads me to this build and this journal

Well i have the engine out, block apart. have noticed some bad scoring on the #2 rod journal, 3 of the main journals are scored also not as bad as the rod journal though.
ive decided against haveing my crank cut and will be in the market for a evo crank, a 2g crank, or if im forced to buy a manley race series.
parts decided on as of now:
evo8/9-2g-manley crank
K1 lightened rods
wiseco 1400 HD 10.5:1 pistons
arp main studs
arp L19 head studs
acl race bearings
beck\arnley oil pump
gates water pump
gates pulleys
gates "blue" timing belt
Evo3 oil filter housing with external cooler
oem oil pick up
1gb TPS
beck\arnley crank sensor
cruise control delete
abs delete ($81 for non abs proportioning valve from jnz and $50 for the lines)
Zaklee clear upper timing cover
new mid timing cover
new lower timing cover
new crank sprocket, washer, bolt
new radiator core support

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back