The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g getting warm...mods??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyRob

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2012
MODESTO, California
I have a 99 gsx with 51 k miles. I noticed that my car seems to get warm About 80 percent up on the gauge but not in the red When driving the car on a hot day above 100 degrees And with the ac on... When I bought the car it had a blown head gasket.
And I went through and did the head gasket job.. and the car runs great.. the car has new timing belts and waterpump newer aluminum toyorad radiator. New thermostat and rad cap.. i have FAL electric fans that both are running when the car gets warm.. i also have a new e316 g turbo with out a heat shield on the lower half o2 housing area. Also have a FMIC blocking the rad.. im wondering if my car is just getting extremely hot in the engine compartment on hot days.. it does not get warm at night or on days under 95 degrees. Any advice on this hot day only overheating issue?

Make sure you have an appropriate mix of water & coolant but other than that, when it's 100 degrees out, with an FMIC and the A/C on, it's going to get hot. Heat shields, ceramic coating parts, exhaust wrap and ducting/vents can help get temps down - but when it's that hot out, a turbo car is just going to get warm unless you can get some serious air flowing through the rad and fans.

do maintenance first.

Backflush and replace all coolant, replace your thermostat, replace your thermocouple, replace your water pump, change your radiator, IN THAT ORDER if one does not solve the problem.

Are the fans wired properly? Might be something simple where the fans are spinning the wrong way fighting the flow of air when you're driving. I know some people have done some ducting work to keeps temps down. You might want to search around here because I know there's a couple threads. It sounds like you have covered the basics.

Yeah all maintenance has been done ..how ever the radiator was new with less than 10k miles on it but it sat in the guys garage full of coolant for 5 years. I flushed out the system ... i was thinking i might need a lower heat shield on the o2 housing and some sort of shroud that rams air into engine compartment.. i used to do sheetmetal work but i dont have any tools anymore.. i heard of people fabricating shrouds...

It's gotta be that fmic getting my car hot. There's no way my radiator is getting air flow with that fmic in front. My radiator and fmic sit about 7 inches apart... It goes fmic then a 4-5 inch open gap then my ac condenser then another 2 inch gap then my radiator LOL.. when i bought the car it was getting HOT and had a blown head gasket. Im wondering if this is what caused the blown head gasket/ warped head in the first place... dont want to do anymore damage and blow the HG again.. right now its pretty annoying cause the car gets real warm with the ac on and i have to turn it off so the car will cool down when driving.. Also when the car gets warm it automatically shuts off the ac anyway.. and the sweating begins..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back