The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil cooler not getting warm?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcefed86

15+ Year Contributor
May 23, 2006
wichita, Kansas
So I removed the large brass verno-therm on the oil filter housing and pulled the "guts" out of it and re-installed. Basically just removed the washers on it that open and close the passage ways. I assumed this would allow oil to circulate through it all the time? Ran my engine up to normal temp (200+) and the oil cooler is still cool the the touch. Confirmed oil coming out of the AN fittings I installed on the filter housing. Previously just had these capped. What gives?

I'll look into this a bit more when I have the time but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

... anyone? Noone runs an oil cooler like so? Ever remove the baffles in the vernotherm deal?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have looked into it before tearing things apart. The bypass valve is open (retracted) when cold and closes the bypass port when hot. It should be extended 34.5 mm cold and 40mm hot per page 89.

http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/90-92 ...Service Manual .PDF/1g-90-92-4g63overhaul.pdf

By gutting it you are allowing all the oil to bypass your cooler.

Appreciate the input. It was originally done since I had the ports capped and not looped. I wanted to make sure I wasn't blocking any kind of flow once the oil heated up. I was thinking it may be something along those lines. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll see if I Can find the "valve" I removed. Or just replace it.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back