The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2g fuel pump install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was just randomly looking through here to see if there are any how to installs for a fuel pump. I have a customers 99 GSX in the shop today and we are diagnosing a fuel pressure issue but the whole process is the same.

Always when messing with fuel disconnect the battery.

I used a 19mm wrench, 14mm line wrench, phillips head screw driver, large flat headed screw driver, hammer, and vise grips.

I don't know of a way to drain the gas that is stuck in the fuel lines so I just let the fuel pressure drop(let the car sit for a while or if you have an AFPR wait till it shows 0 psi)

The car-
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

First off get under the car and use the 14mm line wrench and the 19mm wrench to loosen this connection which is on the passenger side of the car in front of the gas tank

Then remove the back seat. There are two little tabs that you pull out under the front of the seats that will release the seat. When you get the seat out on the passenger side of the car there is an access panel. 4 phillips head screws hold it in and might as well take the 1 screw out that holds the harness to the car to make the whole piece move easier

There are two connector that you have to unplug when you pull the access panel back. 3 hoses connect to this fuel sender. 2 are held on by clamps and one is an inverted flare fitting. That inverted flare is the PITA. This car was worked on before so I used vise grips were the 14mm would normally go.

Be sure not to twist that metal line up to much. It is brittle and can break.

Once you get the lines out of the way take a large flat headed screw driver and a hammer and spin the outside ring counter clockwise to loosen it

Once that is loose you can just pull the fuel pump out. Be careful to not hurt the fuel level arm on removal and installation.

The problem with this fuel pump can be seen in these pictures. There must be a spacer that pushed up on the o-ring to ensure that the pressure from the pump does not push down on the o-ring and blow it out like this one did.

Remove this screw to allow the pump to be released from the sending unit.

I had an EVO 10 stock fuel pump laying around and it had the spacer required to install this pump correctly. It goes spacer, oring, and then the little brown cap.

This was not working

This will work

From here just reverse the whole process. Make sure to install the fuel feed line to the sending unit before you install it underneath. I hope this helps out the tuners community. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I was just randomly looking through here to see if there are any how to installs for a fuel pump. I have a customers 99 GSX in the shop today and we are diagnosing a fuel pressure issue but the whole process is the same.

Always when messing with fuel disconnect the battery.

I used a 19mm wrench, 14mm line wrench, phillips head screw driver, large flat headed screw driver, hammer, and vise grips.

I don't know of a way to drain the gas that is stuck in the fuel lines so I just let the fuel pressure drop(let the car sit for a while or if you have an AFPR wait till it shows 0 psi)

The car-

First off get under the car and use the 14mm line wrench and the 19mm wrench to loosen this connection which is on the passenger side of the car in front of the gas tank

Then remove the back seat. There are two little tabs that you pull out under the front of the seats that will release the seat. When you get the seat out on the passenger side of the car there is an access panel. 4 phillips head screws hold it in and might as well take the 1 screw out that holds the harness to the car to make the whole piece move easier

There are two connector that you have to unplug when you pull the access panel back. 3 hoses connect to this fuel sender. 2 are held on by clamps and one is an inverted flare fitting. That inverted flare is the PITA. This car was worked on before so I used vise grips were the 14mm would normally go.

Be sure not to twist that metal line up to much. It is brittle and can break.

Once you get the lines out of the way take a large flat headed screw driver and a hammer and spin the outside ring counter clockwise to loosen it

Once that is loose you can just pull the fuel pump out. Be careful to not hurt the fuel level arm on removal and installation.

The problem with this fuel pump can be seen in these pictures. There must be a spacer that pushed up on the o-ring to ensure that the pressure from the pump does not push down on the o-ring and blow it out like this one did.

Remove this screw to allow the pump to be released from the sending unit.

I had an EVO 10 stock fuel pump laying around and it had the spacer required to install this pump correctly. It goes spacer, oring, and then the little brown cap.

This was not working

This will work

From here just reverse the whole process. Make sure to install the fuel feed line to the sending unit before you install it underneath. I hope this helps out the tuners community. Thanks guys
Thank you for the write up!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back