1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2g ECU question

Posted by 95'RS-T, May 4, 2009

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    OK I have searched for this but I'm not getting the answer to the question I'm asking.
    So, My car is a 95 eclipse N/T I was wondering if I could change out my ECU with a 96 eclipse N/T ECU and would I be able to use the OBD2 on my 95 then If i would change them out? PS. I know it would be a lot cheaper to buy a OBD1 code reader But i can get the ECU for nothing if it will work. Thanks

383  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  2. -TunedDSM-

-TunedDSM- Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2006
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Your 95 should already be OBDII.

438  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. 95mitseclipsegs

95mitseclipsegs Proven Member

Joined May 29, 2008
    Tooele, Utah
    This is true since both of my 95's are OBDII and I have been able to read the codes at Auto Zone on my GS.

4. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    it has the OBD2 port but when i plug my scanner in it dont read the codes at all. OBD2 i thought is for 96 and newer?

383  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  5. TunaTalon

TunaTalon Proven Member

Joined Oct 4, 2007
    Dittmer, Missouri
    The OP has a N/T eclipse with the 420A engine. It is not OBDII. The 1995 turbo DSM's have an (almost) OBDII compliant ECU, from Mitsubishi but the 420A uses a Chrysler ECU.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  6. 95eclipseSlow

95eclipseSlow Proven Member

Joined Dec 10, 2007
    Taylor, Michigan
    i have a 95 rs and it reads OBDII. I think it just depends when your ecu was manufactured. There are early and late model 95 ECUs

95eclipseSlow

463  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    automatic · 2G DSM