The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Door Rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver71

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2012
Sartell, Minnesota
After noticing that my car had the 2G door rattle problem on both doors, I came to the forums for a solution. By utilizing the search button, I'd found a lot of helpful information.

On my passenger door, I managed to essentially eradicate the door rattle or window rattle noises. I started with adjusting the 2 felt pad brackets near the top of the door panel but that wasn't enough. After further searching, I found out about the plastic window clip that mounts to the frame. After gently squeezing it in a vice to close it, the rattle stopped and everything sounds normal.

The driver's side door I could not solve, however. After adjusting the 2 felt pad brackets as well as the plastic window frame clip near the front of the door, I was still getting a rattle. Instead of the sound coming from the front side of the door (facing toward the front of the car, that is), I feel as though I heard the noise coming from the rear of the door. Somewhere near or under the door handle, on the inside.

I couldn't quite pinpoint the source of this rattle, and it is still there for now. I'm wondering if there are any bolts or the like to tighten down to make this stop. Anybody have any suggestions for me?

Side note: Where can I purchase extra "christmas tree" plastic clips that hold the door panel on? Whoever was in there before me broke or lost about half of them. Strange, I manage to take them off without breaking them...:p

Ok here are the steps I go through to fix the rattle issue in my DSM(s):

Look down to the right at center console
Locate large dial labeled "VOL"
Twist dial until rattle goes away

This method works on other noises also so try it out (girlfriends do not appreciate this fix)

Any parts store should have those.

Is there a specific part number you can give me? Because I was into NAPA today and went through everything they had but nothing was an exact fit (too big or too small). Wasted 5 bucks on a set of clips that looked close, fit the door panel but didn't clip into the metal door holes :ohdamn:

Ok here are the steps I go through to fix the rattle issue in my DSM(s):

Look down to the right at center console
Locate large dial labeled "VOL"
Twist dial until rattle goes away

This method works on other noises also so try it out (girlfriends do not appreciate this fix)

Haha ROFL

And Shampoo, the first link you posted I already followed...this rattle is something not covered in those instructions. The second link tells me nothing new either. :(

Damn, try some other stores and see if you can find them. I pulled my door the other day and noticed about 3 of those plastic push in clips were smashed up and i just assumed oreillys would have them. My expedition needs some too on the back gate panel. If i get up there and find some ill let you know where i got em, if you find em, let us know where.

I have made (a size bigger) Chrysler plastic clips to push in and it seemed that a large amount of noise went away because of that. Made: forced in , not manufactured .

one time i thought that my rattle was coming from the doors but i pin pointed the rattle to my sunroof . if i pushed on the rear of the sunroof it would go away . the only way i could make it better was to hit the open button a hair to get the slack out of the cable . i don't think there is a real fix for it.

go to like advanced auto part, auto zone, i think i got my clips at fastnel the only problem was you had to buy them by bulk

That's not a problem... you WILL use those clips if you do much work to your car. I've already gone through 2 bags of them taking things off and on. There's probably 5 of the tail ends that break off in my door right now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back