The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 7 Bolt Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunp

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2008
Snellville, Georgia
I thought I would create a thread to document the progress of my build. The car is a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I've had the car since 2000, I brought it used with 24k miles. I have parts coming about every two weeks, the build will be long but done right!

I decided to be a little different and build the 7 bolt. I will not be stroking the engine, it will stay 2.0!

The head is at the machinist, the block will go once I fugure out what to do about the pistons. I brought 8.1 pistons a few months back and now I want 9.1, the vendor will not give me a refund because I've had the pistons for a couple of months now. Even though they have not been installed, they have only been out the box to take the picture below.

I'm still trying to decide what fuel mods and turbo to buy.

As she sits her best time is 12.2@111mph, on C 116 and 25lbs of boost. (NO Cams or FMIC)

Current Mods
K&N Filter
FP 18g
ACT 2600
Walbro 190 (Rewired)
Denso 660cc Injectors
Greddy Profec B Boost Controller
Greddy Turbo Timer
Apexi SAFC
Tokico 5 way adjustable Shocks
Eibach Pro Kits Springs
Hanh Race Upper Intercooler Pipe
1g Throttle Body
Autometer Boost Gauge, EGT and Air Fuel
Thermal Cat Back Exhaust
Hahn Down Pipe with Hks Standard Wastegate routed back into exhaust

Parts for the Head
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Parts for the Bottom End

Timing Belt Kit

Looks like a nice setup :thumb: I'm happy with my ross / eagle build. I've experienced minor piston slap (8.3 pistons), but a noticeable difference even at low boost levels. Good luck on your build!

You could probably sell the pistons and buy the 9:1's with only a little loss, but if I were you I'd wait a little while. Once you see how much the deck gets shaved, how much the head is shaved, decide on a headgasket and figure out what kind of final compression you're going to end up with, you may be at 8.5:1 or more.

A half point in CR might not be worth the extra headaches of selling the pistons and buying new ones. You can always just run a few pounds more boost, or a little more aggressive tune.

You could probably sell the pistons and buy the 9:1's with only a little loss, but if I were you I'd wait a little while. Once you see how much the deck gets shaved, how much the head is shaved, decide on a headgasket and figure out what kind of final compression you're going to end up with, you may be at 8.5:1 or more.

A half point in CR might not be worth the extra headaches of selling the pistons and buying new ones. You can always just run a few pounds more boost, or a little more aggressive tune.

Let me make sure I understand, by having the block and head machined this could raise my compression? I thought 2g was 8.5:1 stock?

I have a cometic head gasket, I did not get to take a picture of it.

I brought 8.1 pistons a few months back and now I want 9.1, the vendor will not give me a refund because I've had the pistons for a couple of months now.

Let me make sure I understand, by having the block and head machined this could raise my compression? I thought 2g was 8.5:1 stock?

I have a cometic head gasket, I did not get to take a picture of it.
Yes by machining the deck surfaces of the block and head the compression ratio will be raised. You have to know the volume of the combustion chamber and the depth of the piston at quench (how much the piston sticks out of, or is depressed in the cylinder at TDC), but once you know that you can calculate the new CR.

Example

Measure:
piston quench depth (should be below the deck), combustion chamber volume, installed head gasket thickness

Calculate:
Volume of cylinder = (3.1415 * (bore/2)^2 * stroke) + volume above piston at TDC
volume above piston at TDC = volume of combustion chamber + (3.1415 * (bore/2)^2 * (piston quench depth + installed head gasket thickness))
CR = Volume of cylinder / volume above the piston at TDC

I think I'll be very happy to get my engine done.

Arias 9.1:1 CR, .040 over, stroker pistons
Eagle Forged 2.4L Crank
Eagle H Beam Rods
Clevite Bearings

I got the head from the machinist and it looks great, I will get some pics up.

Few more goodies.

DSM Link V2

Fuel Lab AFPR, Fuel Filter, Walbro 255HP

OEM Front Case

Gasket Kit

Nice! I'm glad to see you're still going strong. I myself have come to find out my pistons are NOT the custom stroker ones as promised durring my purchase. :( If anyone is in need of some .040 2G Arias 8.8:1 CR pistons, these will go really cheap alone, or on the Eagle H-Beam Rods as a pair for a good price.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back