The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 2g 420a heater core

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420NottheEngine

Probationary Member
Jan 30, 2017
Ukiah, California
Just got the dash out of the damn thing. Dismantled ac lines and got the heater core out. New one will be at the parts store for pickup tomorrow. :)
But the heater core developed a leak around lets say 6 months ago. And my momory has failed me as to the direction the coolant flows to and from the core. Does anyone have a diagram of the 2gnt coolant system?i cant find it anywhere. I have the hardline that comes from the upper part by the radiator cap and then the other hardline that goes lower and somewhere towards the tranny. If i recall i believe the one from the radiator cap area connects to the upper fitting on the heater core? And rhe lower fitting to the lower pipe on the heater core? Is this correct?

All beautiful examples thank you guys but dusty boner takes the cake haha. I feel like that was taken for me. Thank you guys so much.

Well thank you very much. Its screenshotted and ready to be used tomorrow when i finish the dash rebuild. Might i add that thats a very clean looking build. Also Just curious. I always see 420as rocking the blue valve cover. Any reason? Or strictly cooincidence?

Blue adds hp. Keeps the bay cooler. You didn’t know? Jk. I have seen a lot of 420As with blue valve covers. I have always like the candy blue color.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats absolutely gorgeous. Good ol 96.
Damn it! I knew this would happen i just had a feeling. So i have the new core but the little plastic piece that fits around the hose inlets has too narrow of an angle to fit the new fittings into. Will i come across amy trouble if i were to just toss that piece out? All it does is secure the core to the heater box and seals the firewall right? I dont want to stretch the core and have it mess up and the only option i see is getting an oem one. Only place for that is a junk yard or way more than i want to pay. Anyone get around this?

Attachments

• 15112255902502041316875.jpg
    15112255902502041316875.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 139
did you separate the metal piece from the plastic one and then put the metal piece on first?

i don't know if this will be of any help, but here is a few pics.

sssssshit, i just realized, those pics are of a 95 GST core. so if i try to put the plastic off a 98 RS on the 95 GST core, it looks like this. So either the 2ga and 2gb are different, or the 420a cars are different from the 4g6 cars. I will investigate:hmm:

so it looks like there are 3 different part numbers. so all 2gb car have the same one.

Hm. I see no difference in the mounting spots on the bracket from the gst and the plastic piece on the rs.. So im thinking it really is just to keep the core in place. So my next thought is should i head down and try to find this bracket? Or could making a bracket for it out of some scrap metal work? Because i seriously dont wanna wait another 4 days to have the core shipped to the parts store. And return it etc. But i also dont want to have to take my dash off again. Hahaha.
Another thought. You guys consider just breaking the plastic to where it fits but the two fittings are still secure? :hellyeah::hellyeah:

here is the 95 bracket on the 98 heater core assembly:

-------------
hopefully this is good enough to see the difference, 98 on top, 95 or bottom

I think i got an idea. Will post updates tomorrow when i go down to work on it. Again dustyboner thank you man youve been a real confidence boost in this whole situation much appreciation for you efforts man. Nice build too LOL

The heater core will actually work in the car correct? I mean obviously the brackets dont fit but say i makeshift something to work will they actually line up from the heater box assembly to the two holes in the fire wall?

im not sure. i guess i will have to pull the 98 core and see if the 95 will fit.

==================
advanced auto seems like they may be the only place to have them listed correctly.

production date up to June 1994, part# 398267

------------------

from June 1994 thru Sept. 1996, part# 399250

----------------------

from Oct. 1996 and newer, part #399251

(site has same picture as above but different part number)

maybe some one can verify this is correct.
=====================================================

Help me! So I've got the heater core in butt now I'm in the process of reassembling everything necessary to put the dash back on. I just got the HVAC controls back in and plugged in as well but behind the three connectors there is another connector that I can't find anything to connect to. If I remember correctly it has 7 pins and is directly behind the three connections that link to the AC button the power control dial and the other little connector i think is used for a light. Will post a pic in a few minutes. It doesnt go to hazards or defrost and it doesnt llug to amytging that i know of on the actual dash.

there should be these 4 grouped together
-2 pin (a/c switch illumination light)
-8 pin (blower switch)
-6 pin (a/c switch)
-2 pin (defroster switch)

there is
-8 pin (rear wiper and washer switch)
that branches off the harness at about the same point as the above ones

Last edited:
K im pretty sure its the rear wiper and washer and i dont have those so thats probably why i dont remember that connector is cuz i never messed with it. :)

Got the car back together tonight just now and drove it up. If it goes out again, Ill live without heat.that was the biggest project i have ever tackled. I feel lucky i got everything back together. Haha. Anyways. Im about to go out with a lamp and reloop the heater core into the system. And what ive found out is they are different part numbers for the core but it does still fit just fine without connecting the brackett. It slides in cozy and then is braced in place by the foam on the bottom side of the chassis by the top of the dash. Nice and snug. That and the piping fits perfect out of the fire wall. So theyre different. But compatible.

Heats blarin out. Mmm. Gotta love a heater in november.. Maybe it was worth it. Thanks for your help bonerman! I might find you again in the future to ask about your 420at setup.

dusty, wats compatible with the tht heater core, 3rd pic , the heater core on the right. looks just like mine. but cant find anything that'll get the brackets to fit correctly. any suggestions?

Heats blarin out. Mmm. Gotta love a heater in november.. Maybe it was worth it. Thanks for your help bonerman! I might find you again in the future to ask about your 420at setup.
wat did u do to make the bracket fit?? nd do u know the part number to the heater core??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back