The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1st and 2nd grinds

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
So long story short i replaced my clutch and resurfaced the flywheel and i went to start the car and it slips out of 1st and almost outta 2nd, and when i downshift only from 3rd to 2nd it grinds really bad, come to the conclusion i need a tras or a rebuild any suggestions before i drop some cash?

Put the car in neutral, don't press in the clutch.

Start with 5th gear, and try to push the stick into gear.

You should notice a slight rpm dip as the trans starts to go in to gear.

Proceed through out the gears 4-3-2-1 If you do not notice this dip in rpm as the trans starts to go in gear then your synchros are shot/going bad.

yea the mechanic told me its the synchros i didnt wanna believe it though, so basically a new trans is the only route ? and yes it grinds

You made sure the clutch pedal was correctly adjusted, right?

I'm currently in your situation, except I need to pull mine back apart and check the clutch release fork and pivot ball. (Plus I bought a new flywheel, TOB, clutch release fork and pivot ball)

no it doesnt mean you need a new tranny. there very easy to do i had to replace them in my fiance's wrx took around 3 days and cost only 65 dollars.

You can also double syncro transmissions to help prevent in the future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back