The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G 1G maf t question (speed density also)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeb

Proven Member
Apr 6, 2016
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I read the stock 2g maf which is what I have on my 1990 is limited for about 400 maybe 450 hp... My goal is 600ish would I be able to get this with a 1st generation gm maf translator and a 3in gm maf.

The translator is a first gen maf t for a 1g so I'd have to first get, and rewire the 1g maf pigtail back in. The car came with a 2g wired in when I got it. I also have ecmlink for tuning and all. I'm collecting parts throughout the winter, and getting ready for a beast come spring.... Hmmmm.. Well....Maybe summer...

Also, is this what the 1g maf tail looks like? (See pic)

ORRR..
Should I scrap this whole idea and go speed density?

Thanks..!

Attachments

• received_1326400447431416.jpeg
    received_1326400447431416.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
What all do I need to switch to speed density? Just the main bundle and the s.d. cord for plug n play?

If I want to run e85 will I need the ethanol plug thing too?

The harness if you want plug and play, the ait and map sensor and that's it. Then just have the bung for the iat welded to your intake pipe right before the throttle. The map is easy to hook up I have mine t'd off the brake booster line. Pretty sure the ethanol sensor is optional.

Last edited:
Ethanol sensor is optional. I started without it and added it later.

For reference, I went 494 hp (Dynojet) with an Evo 8 MAS before I switched to SD (stopped trying for more HP while I had the EVO MAS because the ACT 2600 street disc was slipping), so that might be another option for you between the two (2G and SD). The EVO MAS appeared to have more left in it, but there are many benefits to SD, so I switched.

I have an act 3200 w. 6 puck..

I emailed ecmtuning and said this

What's the deal with the ethanol sensor with the s.d bundle? It says it automatically calibrates or w.e your ecu to run between pump and ethanol or blend it to flexfuel.. Is that the case? Sounds worth it for the like 50 or 60 bucks it costs, and you can run both pump and/or e85 without any kind of retune

How do you like the sensor Kenneth.. Or anyone else that is currently running it or has had personal experience with it?

It does automatically calibrate, but you do have to input some information.

My car was tuned on E85 and I run only E85 with it - though it is rarely exactly 85% ethanol according to the sensor. I used the mathematical equation located here for the calibration: http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/e85fuel?s[]=e85

I am just assuming that those calculations adjust appropriately for the variations in E85 ethanol content and since I don't run regular gasoline in it, I can't say that I have really tested how it works. I can say that the tune seems to be good between summer and off-season E85 (more about that here on page 18: http://www.ethanolretailer.com/images/uploads/Ethanol_Retailer.pdf). I don't drive this car in the snow.

Awesome thanks for the info.. The reason I ask is because e85 pumps I think there's 1 in all of philadelphia and maybe 1 more in surrounding areaS (lame) so if I could just one day throw in a tank of e85 and the next a tank of 93 and repeat that without bringing a laptop with...

Well that sounds more like magic than a sensor LOL.

If you have no boost leaks nothing works better than a maf setup on a stock ecu car. Since you already have a 2g maf that's perfect. It's not a restriction and your goal of 600 can easily be made with a 2g maf don't even bother with a gm maf , save your money and spend it elsewhere gaining performance .

If you have no boost leaks nothing works better than a maf setup on a stock ecu car. Since you already have a 2g maf that's perfect. It's not a restriction and your goal of 600 can easily be made with a 2g maf don't even bother with a gm maf , save your money and spend it elsewhere gaining performance .

Have you ever made those numbers on a stock 2g maf? A lot of people say they couldn't span past 450...

And I don't know what you mean by stock ecu car, it doesn't have aem or anything but does have ecmv3.. (I thought I said that before maybe I forgot to mention, sorry if thats the case)

Yeah I know link is great they still care about us and our cars and not selling out going to all new platforms leaving us In the dust..

Really? 600 on 2g maf.. Good deal. I dunno the main thing is i don't tune... Ecm link wiki is Japanese to me. As it is to a lot of people. So the guy I'm getting to tune my car says s.d is the way to go. Not that he said any maf is impossible (gm or 2g or evo) but just s.d is the easiest route to the goal. And I have 90-95% of all the neccesary go fasts,

have my bare head and everything to build it up.
Kiggly beehives w seats and titn. Retainers
Hks272s w. Unorthodox gears
Ferrera ss valves
3g revised Lifters
New fel pro stem seals
Other basic stock parts, rockers, etc
(Bare 6 bolt head and machined 7 bolt head for 6 haven't decided which to go with yet... If the 7 doesn't sell soon I may go with that)

And the parts for the block
Manley h beams (why I'm limiting to 600ish hp)
Manley .040 over pistons (now I have to bore out my perfect std cylinders to the max because I thought i was buying std pistons... Next time I'll check numbers before buying instead of listening to seller)
Eagle std 4340 crank
Every gasket from top to bottom new and sealed with right stuff gasket maker

Turbo n fuel...
Walboro 255 (getting 450 e85 after build)
Fic 2150s
Pte 6165 bb, v band 3in exhaust straight back (have to weld wideband bung in)

And electronics/sensors I have
ecmlink v3
Aem wideband
Bosch o2

I'm buying my head gasket this weekend. I want a fel pro permatorque but the 200 for that I could buy the whole sd kit and the ethanol sensor. I may just go cometic

Like I said I still need a walbro 450 e85 pump (have a 255 and 400 but neither are e85) and lines
and an fittings for my stock rail. Prob one 8an and one 6an or 6an or both sides..

Need a trans too, and a 4 bolt rear.

After all this I'll then save for axles and driveshaft etc..

But with all that and I'm prob forgetting some stuff, I'd hate to be limited at all with the 2g maf.. And the sd ethanol sensor sounds so awesome to be able to mix and go back and forth between 93 and e85 with an automatic calibration? God like (im still learning about it though..)

Last edited:
The biggie I have to save for is a trans... Eh.

I keep thinking about looking for a good used one to save like a grand+ but who knows if it's good or 10 years old with crunchy gears n all. And also who knows if you're getting a basic rebuild or a tre stage 4 or w.e... The last time I got something that wasn't listed right (other pistons that were listed as std but we're .020 over go figure) I emailed ebay and PayPal and they told me it didn't matter because the seller put no refunds...
Buyer protection. Ey?

Well because a MAS sensor reads from normally the intake manifold, any boost leaks you have can go on undetected do to it's only reading the air that it sees at the intake. So it's also easier to tune around things like this and in some cases people gain power is because they were able to tune around other problems such as boost leaks and things. Because the maf is reading in coming air be for the turbo anything after the turbo must be working properly if not it throws everything off. This is were sometimes tuners say SD is easier to tune. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of benefits to Sd. But maf sensors can meet your goals as well.

Well because a MAS sensor reads from normally the intake manifold, any boost leaks you have can go on undetected do to it's only reading the air that it sees at the intake. So it's also easier to tune around things like this and in some cases people gain power is because they were able to tune around other problems such as boost leaks and things. Because the maf is reading in coming air be for the turbo anything after the turbo must be working properly if not it throws everything off. This is were sometimes tuners say SD is easier to tune. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of benefits to Sd. But maf sensors can meet your goals as well.

Ahh gotcha yeah that makes sense...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back